We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Island(s) - HELP!

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
118 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Which Island(s) - HELP!

Hi-

Just booked airfare to STT for a group of family/friends (7 adults, 3 teens), and need help deciding on an itinerary for our ten day trip. We have been to Anguilla a few times over the past few years, and loved it but wanted to try something else. My initial reaction is to visit two islands, St. Thomas or St. Johns and Virgin Gorda or Tortola. We would probably rent a villa both places, but could be persuaded to stay in a hotel.

About us:

- Big beach fans! Spectacular Beaches are very important to us. Probably #1 on the list.

- Snorkling / day sails are a major plus.

- Good restaurants, especially great beach bars (think Gwen's on Anguilla or Blanchard's Beach Shack for those familiar with Anguilla). We are not gourmets, nor are we interested in paying gourmet prices. Love to find some place that we can pickup dinners to go. Love the simple, local places.

- Safety. We're from New York Metro, so are not naive, but I don't want to have to be overly concerned with crime. Locking doors and securing valuables are fine, as is common sense, but barbed wire is not my type of trip (e.g. Dominican Republic).

- Budget. Not no-frills, but certainly do not have a Bill Gates budget. Looking for villas in the $600/night range. We'll be going in July, so off-season should help.

Thanks so much in advance for assistance!

Best,

John

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Island(s) - HELP!

considering your wish list, get a villa on stj for the entire stay and just use the convenient ferry service and or day sails to go to stt and the Bvi's at your leisure and without having to pack up the clan and move.

Stj had the gorgeous beaches, snorkeling , good restaurants and beach bars that you are looking for.

You can take ferries from stj to any of the other islands and there are plenty of private charter options as well.

Dont forget two days are burned traveling so, imho, stay put .

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Island(s) - HELP!

How many bedrooms are you needing and do you want a pool? a/c is probably needed in july unless you are atva high elevation. Check out vrbo for stj.

Edited: 14 April 2014, 22:18
ny
Level Contributor
281 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Island(s) - HELP!

Given your penchant for Anguilla, avoid St. Thomas: it's big, congested in parts, and, IMO, overly touristy. The other three islands would suit your tastes well.

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Island(s) - HELP!

Thanks! We would need a pool, as I've been in the Caribbean in July and know it can be a bit oppressive. As for bedrooms, probably 5 would be fine. I know that for my price point, I'll not be walking distance to any beaches, but that is understandable.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,230 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Island(s) - HELP!

"Given your penchant for Anguilla, avoid St. Thomas: it's big, congested in parts, and, IMO, overly touristy."

I'll hazard a wild guess that the only part of St Thomas you've seen is via the long stretch of busy main roads between the airport and the Red Hook ferry terminal ...

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Island(s) - HELP!

We love Anguilla but STJ ranks right beside it. I would do as said above, stay the entire time in STJ and leave Virgin Gorda / Jost Van Dyke / Tortola as day trip options IF you find you want to leave STJ. Which we never seem to want to do. STJ beaches are absolutely gorgeous - maybe even a tad more so than Anguilla - and the beach bar vibe is perfect. You may end up like us.... having to do each island once a year.

ny
Level Contributor
281 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Island(s) - HELP!

@STT Resident. Good thing you're not a betting person! Your wild guess is just that.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,230 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Island(s) - HELP!

"@STT Resident. Good thing you're not a betting person! Your wild guess is just that."

Hmm, you've been posting on TA for several years but the only time you posted anything about St Thomas was in November last year when you asked for a beachfront rental recommendation. Many posts about STJ though. No worries, the perception of St Thomas you have is one commonly shared by the passer-through/one-day tripper!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Island(s) - HELP!

I think your villa budget is good especially for july there is just not that many beach front villas in st john which is why the beaches are so nice:) but you will not have far to travel to anyone of them.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Island(s) - HELP!

Darcini and Riley's retreat both look gorgeous are 5 bed and 4to 5 baths pool ac and are within budget at least weekly might need to negotiate the extra daus but being low season it is possible. Both properties look like good locales.

Found both on vrbo, happy planning!