We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miss Lucy's 2014 Our experience

Rockport...
Level Contributor
312 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Miss Lucy's 2014 Our experience

The restaurant portion of this forum deleted my review. I have to wonder why. This is my very recent experience at Miss Lucy's as excerpted from my trip report on another STJ forum.

From there we left for Miss Lucy's because we hadn't made it yet and this was our last full day. We have loved it in the past and in the past couple of years have forgiven the ridiculous "island time" food service because the servers were so nice and apologetic. We just took books and figured it would be a good part of our afternoon.

I was reluctant to post this because someone I know works there and she is a pro and I know she would not put up with service like this and I would never want to hurt her but I suspect she works at night and is a senior server and from what I hear evenings are not the problem. Our experience was not with a senior server I can assure you.

We arrived at 1:00 pm on Wed. April 24. There was just one table seated outside and they had their check. There were 2 tables seated inside and no one at the bar. A young blond waitress walked by - no smile- no greeting- and said "Sit wherever you want". So we sat. And sat. And sat. She walked by us again without even looking in our direction- mind you- there is no one else there. I called out to her-"Excuse me? Can we order some drinks?" She barks back in a very snotty tone. "Just a minute" and then says "Just so you know we are out of conch, this that and another thing' and walks way for another 10 minutes. By this time this 27 year restaurant business veteran is getting p-o'd. Pete goes up to the bar where no one is sitting and asks the bartender if we can order drinks from her. The angry waitress sees this and says, " I told you I'd be there in a minute" and follows Pete back to the table.

Then she smiles and puts on a "Hi my name is B-i-t-c-h-y and I'll be your server smile". We ordered our drinks and she says "And what will you be ordering to eat?" I replied, nicely, despite the way I wanted to reply to her, " We'll just wait for our drinks and decide then." I kid you not- she replied in the snottiest way possible, " Just so you know, the bartender takes 20 minutes to make drinks so I am just trying to do YOU a favor. By this time a couple of other tables had seated themselves and were looking for service. I heard one of the guests say, "Did I really just hear that waitress say that?"

I have never walked out of a STJ restaurant in the 15 years we've been visiting. I said, "Thanks hon, I think we'll go to Shipwreck instead". Wait for it. Her reply? " Oh Yeah, go to Shipwreck and enjoy the frozen drinks and S-H-I-T-T-Y food." Nice huh? We went to Shipwreck and were greeted with a smile. I ordered an excellent top shelf margarita, not frozen, the delicious fresh gazpacho and jerk grilled shrimp app with a dill sauce.

Back at Gallows in the pool another family recounted a similar experience with this same waitress who, because they would not order their food until the drinks had been dropped, admonished them that the bartender would take 20 minutes to make the drinks. The place was empty. I hope you all know that I don't often criticize a STJ business.

NH
Level Contributor
848 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Miss Lucy's 2014 Our experience

I have always really enjoyed Miss Lucy's and was so excited to return on our recent trip ~ however we were also very disappointed with the service. The food was fine and our server wasn't rude but just didn't bother with us or any others. We were seated waiting for our meals for and hour and a half~ This would have been better if the server had come over and checked on us but she did not. We ended up going to the bar and requesting drinks. I was honestly sad when I left as I have so enjoyed this place in the past but the lack of concern left me wondering if I would return. Hopefully they will make some needed service adjustments and bring Miss Lucy's back to how so many of us remember it ~ as a wonderful place

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miss Lucy's 2014 Our experience

Hey, I'm pretty sure it's the 2 swear words that got it deleted.

Rockport...
Level Contributor
312 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miss Lucy's 2014 Our experience

You are probably right, but there is no way I can see to edit it myself at this point. If the TA admin sees this, feel free to edit out the two swears. The one is the actual word she used though, so in the spirit of accuracy it should stay.

Portsmouth, Rhode...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Miss Lucy's 2014 Our experience

I would not have the patience to wait 20 mins for a drink or worse, 1 1/2 hrs for food. The solution, head for Sam and Jacks or Deli Grotto, order there and head back to the beach.

Smithfield, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Miss Lucy's 2014 Our experience

I am also in the service industry and have been for the majority of my working (and now retirement) career. I've worked with so many servers (male & female), that HATE their jobs but love the quick cash it brings. I say to those folks, "go sit in a cubicle and leave the rest of us to enjoy our dining/drinking experiences."

I worked in corporate for 20 years and part of my work involved running 5 bars, a few concession stands and 3 dining areas. I told my employees, "you are self-employed, and even though we sign the paycheck, it is up to you to make your $$$ and bring the customer back."

It's too bad that one employee can ruin someone's experience, but I know firsthand that can happen in the best of places.

Sorry you had such a negative encounter.

Coral Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
687 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Miss Lucy's 2014 Our experience

Sorry to hear you had this kind of experience ... especially during your stay on St John! While I don't intent to defend or absolve the restaurant or server ... it sounds like you've had good experiences at Miss Lucy's over the years.

I eat out a lot. I have places I love and frequent often. Even these places can sometimes come up short on service, food or overall experience. I chalk it up to the number of things that can go wrong - and I don't let it sour my opinion of the place. Only caveat - if it becomes more the norm than the exception ...then I will trim back my business.

I would share your experience with management.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Miss Lucy's 2014 Our experience

After a similarly bad experience (though without the foul language) in 2011, we never returned to Miss Lucy's.

The only positive features of our meal were the outstanding jazz combo playing for Sunday brunch (we gave the musicians a nice tip) and the beautiful morning on the water. Otherwise, there was just SO MUCH WRONG, in every department, that we could not excuse as an "off day". You can read my old review here - tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147409-d104…

Since 2011 I've read and heard nice things about the restaurant, but nothing would make us choose the risk.

Newburgh, New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Miss Lucy's 2014 Our experience

We were at Miss Lucy's on Sunday April 27. Love the food, the jazz, the view but the wait for drinks was unbearable. If we had gotten even water right away, it would have been fine, we would have been happy to sit and wait for food but it started to get uncomfortable.I've never seen such poor service. Next year, we bring our own water

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,963 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Miss Lucy's 2014 Our experience

I would think that the right thing to do is to contact the restaurant and share your experience. I think that most situations like this are happening when there is no manager on site so how will they know? I can almost guarantee that they are not reading this forum and I really think that it is only fair to bring it to their attention.

What if this server is pleasant and polite when management is there? How will they now that she is driving away customers and bad mouthing other island restaurants?

If I owned or managed the restaurant, I would want to know.

Kentwood, Michigan...
Level Contributor
318 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Miss Lucy's 2014 Our experience

Sadly, we had a very similar situation on Easter Sunday. We did wait it out, and EVERY other table around us had food before we even had drinks, and most all were done eating paid, and the next group of people ordering before we got our food (which was cold). When we would ask the waitress about the delay - she just said "this is how Sunday brunch is". Ummm, it never used to be how Sunday brunch is. Sunday Jazz brunch is a tradition for us, and we've never had this kind of service. I will try again next trip - but if it happens again, I will have to find a new Sunday tradition.