We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Countdown T minus 2 days- what to do on rainy days?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Egg Harbor...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Countdown T minus 2 days- what to do on rainy days?

So, two more days of work and we are off to St John!!! As a first timer, I have been stalking TA like it's my second job and planned a week of swimming, relaxing, snorkeling, and hiking. Looking at the supposed forecast next week, I am kind of worried. Any suggestions on what to do on rainy days and when it's storming? Please help! I want to explore as much as possible and Mother Nature better be on my side after this long snowy New Jersey winter! I really do not want to be stuck inside the little studio we rented. We have a jeep for the week so not limited to a certain area.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,021 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Countdown T minus 2 days- what to do on rainy days?

There are countless threads both present and past related to weather in the USVI in all seasons and the standard advice is to NOT read weather forecasts but concentrate on packing sunscreen.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Countdown T minus 2 days- what to do on rainy days?

Go to Woodys or Beach Bar if its raining...or Skinny Legs if you are in Coral Bay

Pa.
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Countdown T minus 2 days- what to do on rainy days?

Get in the water and enjoy the great snorkeling!… As long as it's not a thunder and lightning storm! Our last trip in October called for rain every day. There were some good rains overnight, and I think one day there was a five-minute shower. The rest of the week was absolutely beautiful. Don't worry about it and just go with things.... I'm a repeat visitor and I still stock the TA forum LOL, have a great trip!

South Florida...
Level Contributor
563 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Countdown T minus 2 days- what to do on rainy days?

First, as STTResident mentioned, don't worry about the weather report. We just got back. The only day it rained was the day the forecast for rain was the lowest.

If you do have some rain, here are my suggestions:

Spend some time at Mongoose Junction exploring stores, grabbing a bite to eat and/or drink, walk to Wharfside Village (next to the ferry dock) and repeat the above.

Drive out to the very east end of the island and visit Sloop Jones. http://www.sloopjones.com/ Awesome clothing and other fun items. It's a bit on the high side cost wise but it's one of a kind beautiful clothing and items that you aren't going to find elsewhere.

Grab a good book and read for a while.

In all the year's we've been going to St. John, we've only had one day that was a total rainout. Rain comes and goes in the tropics pretty quickly most of the time. Go and have a fabulous time!!!

houston, TX
Level Contributor
152 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Countdown T minus 2 days- what to do on rainy days?

While we were there 2 weeks ago it rained on us about 3 nights. Keep in mind it wasn't storming just raining. One of those nights we were at the beach bar and took cover there. Other days we were walking to Cruz bay sports and just started pouring on us, we had the attitude of what the hell...we were just in the water swimming, rain is not a bug deal, it was actually fun....point of story, relax and don't stress, it will be fine. You also have a jeep, you can still explore, none of the showers lasted more than 30 minutes or so...

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Countdown T minus 2 days- what to do on rainy days?

Accuweather has good forecast for your stay. If its pouring all you can really do is drink, eat, and fool around. I have been caught in a heavy downpour hiking Brown Bay and Rams Head and it was not fun at all. But if light rain/drizzle I would go hiking and snorkeling, put on a dry T shirt then have a few painkillers and a nice lunch.. and go out again hoping for he best.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
308 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Countdown T minus 2 days- what to do on rainy days?

Remember...the rain is just that deliciously beautiful blue Caribbean Sea ...I second it...go to the beach or sit on a bar stool talking to locals...they'll have ideas for you...enjoy the moment because the worst day on St. John is still better than the best at home...in my humble opinion! Have a great trip and quit worrying...unless the "rain" has a name attached to it, there are No Worries.

Coral Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
647 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Countdown T minus 2 days- what to do on rainy days?

"unless the "rain" has a name attached to it, there are No Worries." - brilliantly said ; )

For accurate weather ( day of ...) try Wunderground.com. Their doppler radar and Cruz Bay weather station info are the most up-to-date. You can also use the various web cams around the island to check conditions on each side of the island.

Remember: the weather down here usually reports rain because it does rain somewhere just about every day. But, unlike rain in the States the rain down here can be isolated to one side of the island or even to just a small 15 sprinkle.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
181 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Countdown T minus 2 days- what to do on rainy days?

Let the mind unwind This is a vacation. Play board games, read a book, listen to music, listen to the rain, sip on a drink, go to the animal shelter and many other great things that are on the island that others have stated.

The Wagapalooza is going on Saturday at the ballpark, buy raffle tickets and talk to locals and visitors. It will be great! We hope to make it there.

Whatever you do, do not check the forecast every minute before your vacation, because it will change. Just plan on sun, some rain, but lots of good memories!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
202 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Countdown T minus 2 days- what to do on rainy days?

Last year we hiked the reef bay trail on the one rainy day we had. The trees provide a good deal of cover so we didn't get soaking wet even though it rained pretty hard at times. It actually worked out well because the hike is pretty intense (especially the hike back up), and I think it would have been even more difficult had it been sunny and warmer.