We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you could pick ONE restaurant, what one?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
102 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
If you could pick ONE restaurant, what one?

I know there is a lot of restaurant questions here, but they seem to all be looking for something in particular. I am going to leave this one wide open because we just like to eat and try different places and so far it seem there are more places we want to try than we have time or money. This might be a hard question for people who visit St. John regularly or live there. If you only had time for one restaurant in St. John, which one would you pick and why? We, of course, will be eating at several during our week long trip, but this hopefully will help us pick a few that we can't miss. Doesn't matter the location, the cost, the view, etc., answer based on your tastes and experience.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you could pick ONE restaurant, what one?

This one is difficult because while we enjoy dining out on St. John , it really does not define the vacation for us.

But if I had to pick what really makes me feel like i am back on st john it would be Deli grotto. For some reason, maybe cause we hit it for coffee and picnic supplies so often it just makes me feel at home there.

Long Valley, New...
Level Contributor
944 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you could pick ONE restaurant, what one?

For us, it would be Zozo's (I literally just called and made a reservation for June 2nd.... our 30th wedding anniversary!). La Tapa is a close 2nd, and our other favorite "nice" restaurants include The Terrace, Ocean 362, and Waterfront Bistro.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
260 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you could pick ONE restaurant, what one?

La Tapa, but I haven't been to Zozo's. We travel with kids.

Kentwood, Michigan...
Level Contributor
318 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you could pick ONE restaurant, what one?

Aqua Bistro - because I have never had anything there I didn't love, I love the location, the waitstaff and bartenders are awesome, and because they have the best conch fritters on the island.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
260 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you could pick ONE restaurant, what one?

La Tapa, but I haven't been to Zozo's. We travel with kids.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you could pick ONE restaurant, what one?

Aqua Bistro in Coral Bay on Friday night for Tuna Ponzu. We always go before 6pm because they run out. Everything we've had has been excellent. Ate there twice last trip. Make reservations.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you could pick ONE restaurant, what one?

It really isn't a fair question. You could spend $175-200 for 2 at Zozo's, or $20 for 2 at Caribbean Oasis. We wont do Zozos because of an experience we had with them quite a few years ago, so that would be out for us. But I understand for many (most?) people, it's a must-hit. But here's a few, depending on what you want. And, yes, I know I'm avoiding the question.

Relatively upscale, Cruz Bay - Virgin Fire or Rhumb Lines (or Fatty Crab)

Bar food, Cruz Bay - Joe's Rum Hut or Beach Bar

Takeout - Candy's

Relatively Upscale - Coral Bay - Sweet Plantains, with Aqua Bistro a close second (Like Heidi, I've never seen anything negative about Aqua Bistro)

Bar food, Coral Bay - Skinny's

Takeout, Coral Bay - Caribbean Oasis

I do believe that Caribbean Oasis is the best value on the island, but it's certainly not haute cuisine.

Good luck

Edited: 05 May 2014, 00:53
South Florida...
Level Contributor
566 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you could pick ONE restaurant, what one?

That's easy for us - Aqua Bistro. Food is consistently terrific year after year. Service is friendly and it sits on the side of the island (Coral Bay) where we stay. Had wonderful meals there last week!

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you could pick ONE restaurant, what one?

La Tapa. Great food from an ever changing very creative menu an the best wine selection.

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,597 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If you could pick ONE restaurant, what one?

La Tapa, but also haven't tried Zozo's yet, either.