We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations - Stocking the villa before arrival

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations - Stocking the villa before arrival

Would appreciate recommendations on the company to use for provisions. I have been referred to both Starfish Market and also Villa Foods for stocking the villa before we arrive on 5/17. Any experience with these companies or any new recommendations? Thank you!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations - Stocking the villa before arrival

While not the answer you asked for, I will give my thoughts on provisioning.

It is expensive and while I am not cheap and don;t mind paying for convenience, it is just more than I am willing to pay for.

Most every villa we have stayed in comes with a welcome basket. Fruit, rum, juice, water, and a few snacks.

We pack coffee with us and when we get to the villa take an inventory of things that are there. Some villas have a ton of stuff (unopened) left behind by prior guests others have nothing.

We pop into town for a quick bite to eat, stop at the market on the way back and we are all set.

We travel with just the 2 of us and it is usually less expensive to go out to eat, so we just focus on getting breakfast food, mixers, booze, and snacks.

If you are set on having it all there, I would go with the company that charges the lower price. There are only a few markets on STJ and the quality of the food will be the same no matter who you use.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations - Stocking the villa before arrival

We used Christine at islandtmeprovisoning@yahoo.com last week. Excellent service. This was the first time we did provisioning in 34trips and loved it.

New York
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations - Stocking the villa before arrival

I used Starfish market two times very successfully, in July and then again this past December. Nedra at Starfish was very helpful. In addition to ordering provisions, I asked Nedra to recommend food that would be easily re-heated for our first night. Delicious BBQ Ribs and Chicken Wings with sides of potato salad and cole slaw. Fantastic. Will be calling Nedra for our next trip in December.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,373 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations - Stocking the villa before arrival

I used Shana at Blue Sky Management/Provisions the past two trips and I like her service. The order forms on the website are easy to use and very comprehensive.

On the topic of welcome baskets, has anyone noticed fewer houses providing welcome baskets? The past two houses we rented (thru Catered To and St. John Ultimate Villas) did not have welcome baskets. These were higher end houses (pricey) and I was sort of surprised by the absence of a basket.

Kentwood, Michigan...
Level Contributor
318 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations - Stocking the villa before arrival

Another vote for Shana at Blue Sky ( blueskyconcierge.com/villaprovisioning.html )

She did a great job for us and we wouldn't hesitate to use her again.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
631 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations - Stocking the villa before arrival

We have used Starfish twice. They did a great job and had very good communication both by phone and by email. For us it seemed the least expensive.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations - Stocking the villa before arrival

I have used both Katilady and villa food. Both were fine, but I preferred villa food. I liked the way I could choose each item specifically, plus I think they are a little less expensive when staying in Coral Bay. Whoever you choose to go with, you'll love having the villa stocked when you arrive!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations - Stocking the villa before arrival

I just wanted to add that we will definitely be provisioning for our upcoming trip in July. I don't mind a little grocery shopping on island, but I don't want to do it as soon as I get there :)

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations - Stocking the villa before arrival

Hi IllinoisSharon! We will also be arriving on the 17th, we're so excited! At the recommendation of our villa owner, we placed an order with Starfish Market. We called Nedra at Starfish first and then placed the order online. Prices were very reasonable in my opinion. Our villa management company charged us $25 and they will go pick the order up and deliver to the villa on the 17th.

We did not provision for our trip to Virgin Gorda a few years ago and after 12-13 hours of traveling (all after getting up at 4:00 am), the grocery shopping right when we got there was so exhausting. I'm sure we will hit the store again during our stay but so worth it to not have to do it right away. Have an awesome trip!!

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations - Stocking the villa before arrival

Thank you all for the responses! Troy, Michigan! I lived in Lake Orion, Michigan for 3 years! :)