We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low key activities - broken ribs

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
47 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Low key activities - broken ribs

We will be arriving in St. John this Saturday & unfortunately, my husband broke a few ribs this past weekend. He is still planning to make the trip, but I am thinking that kayaking/ hiking (the more difficult paths) are out of the question.

So --- now I am looking for ideas on low-key activities from you all! Hanging out at the beach remains on our list, but if there are any other ideas out there - - I would love to hear them!

Wellesley, Ma
Level Contributor
796 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Low key activities - broken ribs

Sorry about his injury. Anything in the water would probably feel good. Try a day trip sailing around St. John or to the BVIs - lots of choices for charters. You could rent a dinghy to visit some of the less accessible beaches. The "hike" from Salt Pond to Drunk Bay is an easy one and Drunk Bay is always a treat to visit with the stone creations everyone makes.

And, of course, a few pain killers at the Beach Bar would ease the pain too!

Have a great trip!!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,724 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Low key activities - broken ribs

I am not sure I would want to be in a dinghy with broken ribs, if you hit the wake from another boat or it was the least bit bumpy, it would be very painful. and I am not sure that he would be able to get back into the boat from the water if you were at a mooring.

I would think that he could snorkel with a noodle just to help with floating.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Low key activities - broken ribs

If the water is choppy a dingy or boat ride could be painful:(

Cinnamon, hawksnest , maho, trunk are all easy access beaches with parking so he does not have to lug stuff far.

Take a drive to the east end and snorkel haulover south, have lunch at vies if riding in car is not to painful.

Take a drive to salt pond just carry snorkel stuff because 1/3 mile walk to beach, go to tourist trap or shipwreck landing for lunch.

Annaberg ruins are interesting with pretty views.

Tink , we must have posted at same time, sorry for redundancy:)

Edited: 14 May 2014, 14:00
New Jersey
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Low key activities - broken ribs

Ouch - sorry for his mishap but I bet he'll find St. John is just what the doctor ordered for healing. I spent a week with a sprained ankle and still relaxed and enjoyed.

Try to catch sunset on the beaches.

Peace Hill is a short little walk for some nice views.

Enjoy leisurely lunches and dinners in the restaurants.

Frances is a beach where you can also park relatively close to the car and the snorkeling is good at the far right out to the point - if he feels comfortable enough snorkeling.

Hope you both enjoy.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Low key activities - broken ribs

Yes, I'd have thought that snorkeling would be high on the list. I'd avoid Little Lameshure this trip though. Although it's a beautiful beach, the last half mile would be pretty nasty for someone with broken ribs. And, as others have suggested, I wouldn't do the boat ride. You'll get tossed around a little even on calm days, and if there's any type of swell, it could get very painful.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Low key activities - broken ribs

For the ultimate in low key activity, try a Princess Bay snorkel. Park beside the road, walk into the water and float, watching the ever shifting display of fish and other critters in the mangroves. No need to even go any where. Stand up if it gets uncomfortable.

7. Re: Low key activities - broken ribs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 06:17