We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carribbean Curried Chicken Salad - Recipe Anyone?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Carribbean Curried Chicken Salad - Recipe Anyone?

As almost all of my friends know here in MA, I am rather obsessed with Food Center's (St. Thomas) Curried Chicken Salad. I have been searching high and low for a recipe that has a similar consistency (rather dry), but the same spices, which seem to be much different than an Indian curry. Can anyone point me in the right direction as I would love to be able to make some of the salad when not on the rock.

Thanks in advance!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,221 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carribbean Curried Chicken Salad - Recipe Anyone?

The main difference is in the seasoning. I prefer East Indian curries but the West Indian curries use what's commonly labeled in supermarkets as Jamaican curry powder. Just precook some boneless skinless chicken breasts in chicken stock, allow to cool and cut up into bite sized pieces. Mix coconut milk with curry powder to taste, heat and thicken with cornstarch, add just enough to the chicken pieces to bind them and cool. Lots of variations but that's a basic to start with.

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Carribbean Curried Chicken Salad - Recipe Anyone?

Thank you STT!!! I will give this a whirl up here. I am definitely swinging by Food Center next week to see if I can get someone to spill their exact recipe. One can only hope!!!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,624 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carribbean Curried Chicken Salad - Recipe Anyone?

If you need a good Caribbean curry spice mix at home in MA, you can order from Sunny Caribbee on Tortola - sunnycaribbee.com/collections/…caribbee-curry

I've used "Caribbee Curry" for years. I was in panic recently when I wanted to do a fish curry (too delicate for East Indian spice mix), but had run out of the stuff from Sunny Caribbee!

K P
Illinois
Level Contributor
632 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carribbean Curried Chicken Salad - Recipe Anyone?

Yes, get Sunny Caribbee curry. You can order online. It's completely different. Great in deviled aggs too!!

Been using it for years!!

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carribbean Curried Chicken Salad - Recipe Anyone?

You can also check out St. John Spice for curry spices. You probably could give them a call if you need help picking one since they have more than one to choose from. Here is the link to the spice page on their online store: store.stjohnspice.com/categories/Spices/

6. Re: Carribbean Curried Chicken Salad - Recipe Anyone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 05:17