We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ram Head Trail

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
69 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Ram Head Trail

We are thinking of getting up early and doing the Ram Head Trail tomorrow morning. Can anyone suggest the best time in the morning to start (to avoid getting overheated) and if anyone hiked it recently, after all the rain, how bad are the bugs on this trail? Thank you!

Coral Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
650 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ram Head Trail

Bugs shouldn't be a problem once you're past the salt pond ( the real salt pond marsh). If you're really motivated to start the day ...go early and catch the sunrise! Otherwise I would just avoid midday/afternoon as that's when temps and sun will be the hottest. If it's overcast like it is right now ...you'll be fine. but do carry some water along with your camera. And don't forget Drunk Bay ..on the other side of the salt pond. It's the place with the stone cairn figures that people construct.

If you can't make the hike for sunrise you can always catch it from the look out at Concordia and then head to Salt Pond and do the trail.

54b
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
530 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ram Head Trail

We go to STJ in late June and have done the Ram Head hike just about every trip.

I like Onislandtimes suggestion of getting out to the point before sunrise, but that would likely require you starting the hike at 5am as I believe sunrise is tomorrow at around 5:45am.

If heat is your biggest concern, I'd say you'd want to start no later than about 8:30am. That way, even if you went slow and stopped often, you'd still be back at the parking lot by 10:30am or 11am before it really starts warming up. Honestly though, I don't remember getting really hot until 2 or 3pm.

Also a tip, it's not a real vertical hike, but there are plenty of ups and down and rocks, so you'll want to wear at least a sturdy pair of tennis shoes. And when you across Salt Pond Beach to the trail head (no other way around it), you'll want to walk fairly close to the water's edge where the sand is more compact...that way you won't kick up a lot of soft sand into your shoes.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 15:55
Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ram Head Trail

I usually do it around 8-9. Would love to get there for sunrise, but haven't so far. I timed myself this time around - was around 25 mins from Salt Pond to the end of the trail, so it's not TOO bad of a walk. Agree with 54b on the shoes - I'd take at least sneakers. I found the walk back, going downhill on loose rock, was tougher than going up, just because of the tendency for the pebbles to shift when you stood on them.

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
69 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ram Head Trail

Thank you, all! Don't know if I can talk my hubby into the sunrise idea but will try. The bugs were particularly bad today - we spent most of the day on and around the Waterlemon beach. So any activity where that is not a concern sounds like a winner right now.

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
69 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ram Head Trail

Just wanted to report back: ended up leaving the parking area around 8:30 and it worked out great. It was an amazing hike, I am so glad we did it! The bugs were not bad at all, except on the Salt Pond beach but we didn't stay there long and the Love Me Not bug spray seemed to help. The swim after the hike was one of the most delicious and rewarding swims ever! :) The sun definitely started to pick up towards the end but it wasn't bad at all. We didn't even have the best shoes for it (my hubby wore his boat shoes), but it was fine. Thanks again for your help, everyone!

Last night on the island tonight... oh so sad :(

54b
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
530 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ram Head Trail

That's cool. Glad to hear it went well. Reef Bay Trail gets most of the press and it is a great hike, but pound for pound, I do think Ram Head is the best hike on the island.

If you're so inclined the next time you go, on the return from hiking out to the tip, enter the water on the far right side of the Cobblestone beach and snorkel back to Salt Pond Beach. It takes a little more effort and you'll need a dry bag to put your shoes in, but it's a lot of fun and well worth.

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
69 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ram Head Trail

Thank you for the tip, 54b! Yeah, we heard some bug horror stories this week from the Reef Bay Trail, so didn't have the guts to try it. Really hope to do it next time.

8. Re: Ram Head Trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 07:16