We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Star Fish Market Grocer

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Star Fish Market Grocer

This is the second year I have visited St John. This is the second time we went to Star fish Market. The people in the deli do not want to wait on you. They have an attitude. The one guy just looks at her to wait on me. He doesn't say anything to me. She put her gloves on to slice the what I wanted. She looked over to see if he was looking and he wasn't. so she takes the cell phone from the gentleman who was standing on the customer side to look at what he wanted her to see. I don't know if they don't like tourist or what. We work hard at our jobs. Our pay is hard earned. I hope this attitude changes. They need to follow the ways of the Lord. Colossians 3:23 Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,696 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Star Fish Market Grocer

Just a few thoughts on your post.

I have always received good service on island when I begin my transaction with a pleasant greeting before placing my order. I am not saying that you did not do this, just a comment

The people that work at the deli in my home town grocery store are less friendly than any I have experienced in STJ.

"following the Lord" is a matter of personal belief and does not apply to everyone

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Star Fish Market Grocer

The only reason I go to Starfish anymore is to get Josephine's greens. St John Market is much better quality in my opinion. I got some prepared food there in April and they gave me so much food, it lasted two days and cost $10. It was very good. Their meats and steaks look nicer too.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 16:37
New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Star Fish Market Grocer

What??? The lord and lunch meat really? Politics and religion better discussed elsewhere.

NC
Level Contributor
795 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Star Fish Market Grocer

....following the Lord.....then you know the scripture.....'Love covers over a multitude of sin'..........I hope you try the Market again.

Coral Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
650 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Star Fish Market Grocer

With all due respect to previous responses ... I don't think the OP's experience is unique. And while I agree that a proper greeting goes a long way towards starting a friendly exchange here on St John ( or anywhere, really) - I've seen this type of thing happen on more than one occasion at this deli.

All I can say is don't let it ruin an otherwise wonderful visit. Don't give up on the use of "Good morning/afternoon/evening". And shop where you feel you get the best value, the highest quality and/or the best vibe! Life's too short to let the deli get you down ; )

Irmo, South Carolina
Level Contributor
180 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Star Fish Market Grocer

Very well said " On island time"

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Star Fish Market Grocer

As above. My wife and I are always respectful and use the customary greetings. I have had to wait a little more than I had to at the deli but we don't let it bother us and always act friendly to the person slicing our stuff. Most people in the market seem very nice to me, I am so happy to be in St John on vacation that nothing bothers me except if it rains too much. Quoting religious scriptures in this forum is inappropriate.

New London, New...
Level Contributor
366 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Star Fish Market Grocer

Help, that's what locals lovingly call "island time". Complain and your viewed as cranky, pushy or rude or un-worldly. As annoying as "intentionally dismisive service" is, it's still a big part of the WI culture. I try to be a polite as posible (without showing annoance or condensention) even knowing it will have very small effect on the service. The only advise I can give you is to "rise above" the petty passive agressive nonsence and bring as much food from home as possible….

phl
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Star Fish Market Grocer

I really don't think the OP was trying to invoke a religious conversion of the employees. Only that the employees could have a better attitude towards their customers. Anyway, anyone who posts here should be able to quote from any source they like, religious or otherwise, to communicate their experience. After all, one of the principles this country was founded on is freedom of speech and TripAdvisor shouldn't be any different.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Star Fish Market Grocer

I am sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience. May I suggest you call, mail, or email Starfish Market and let them know about the poor service you received? You can call them at 340-779-4949, mail them at PO Box 1375 St. John, VI 00831 and email them at info@starfishmarket.com. If you could accurately describe the person(s) who gave you poor service, it could help them to improve. I know that if I was the manager, I would want to know if any of my employees were not able to consistently provide good customer service. Hopefully they feel the same.