We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condos vs. private villas vs Westin

Level Contributor
118 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Condos vs. private villas vs Westin

I would appreciate any information anyone can provide. We have spent one day on St. John and very much want to spend a week there this summer. In looking for a 3 bedroom place to stay, I am having difficulty 1) finding what we want and 2) determining what would be best. I understand condos are almost non existant, which is not a bad thing at all. The private villas are gorgeous but seem to not be on the beach. Westin has some villas but have read both good and bad reviews of the Westin and not sure how far away from their beach we would be.

We need 3 bedrooms, 2 or 3 baths. Would prefer having a pool and be "on the beach". Want a gym/fitness room. I prefer having a view of the ocean. We are pretty self catering when it comes to meals. We would probably rent a car so we can visit a few beaches. Like to keep the housing under 6K for the week.

Any ideas? Thank you so much.

san antonio, tx
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condos vs. private villas vs Westin

If you will have a car, it is likely that your best option will be a villa. Best "bang for your buck" as it were. The Westin beach is man-made, and any condos I'm familiar with won't be on a dream beach either. St. John offers fabulous beaches all over the island. I've been many times and have always stayed in a villa. One of the big advantages is privacy and killer views. I think it's safe to say you can find a summer villa well within your budget that can be an easy drive to one of many beaches!

Just do some searches here for trip reports and you'll get an idea of what folks tend to do with their time on this wonderful island.

And whatever you decide, you will all have a wonderful time!

SteveO.

Irmo, South Carolina
Level Contributor
180 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condos vs. private villas vs Westin

There are VERY few villa on the beaches. But our dream beach house would be gibney beach cottage and garden cottage. Ck out there website! But both villas together are 10k. So , Villa Maria in chocolate hole we have rented and loved! Its 3 bedroom.The location is prefect and the view in outstanding ! We stay in chocolate hole area bc its very close to grocery and town. Just mins from westin. You need a jeep to get all the great beaches! This yr we are renting ciellodonna.its 4 bedroom. Its our 5 yr . Amalie jeep in stt is great jeep rental, pickup and drop off at airport! Happy hunting.

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condos vs. private villas vs Westin

You want a 3 bedroom on the beach with an exercise room for $6000. This is a topic that is easily searched in this forum. If you want a sandy beach there is nothing in St John that fits your criteria. If you are willing to be on a rocky beach and forgo the exercise room there may be something for you, I suggest searching VRBO and putting in your criteria. There are a few places around your price range and I saw 2 in Klein Bay which has a very nice rocky beach. You will have to have a jeep type of vehicle the entire trip. I get the idea that you have done little research so far regarding St John. The really nice sandy beaches in St John are protected from development and thus villas on sandy beaches are rare and nonexistent at your price range.

Level Contributor
118 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condos vs. private villas vs Westin

Thank you all for your replies.

I would happily forgo the exercise room! My husband and son won't. I understand my wants may be difficult to find, just wanting some guidance on where to look from those that have been there. I have searched VRBO extensively and am waiting for responses from a few folks.

Seems we can find some of what we want, but not all.

We were only there 1 day from ST. Thomas and much prefered St. John. The beaches were what make us want to return so we may just do a private villa and jeep around to a different beach everyday!

Thanks!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Condos vs. private villas vs Westin

You would have to stretch you budget for this, but it has an exercise room and is a 5 to 10 minute walk to Francis Bay. It has availability it August. Maybe ask another couple to go with you to share expenses.

http://www.vrbo.com/442485

Wellesley, Ma
Level Contributor
796 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condos vs. private villas vs Westin

Try looking for a Grande Bay condo on VRBO or directly with the resort - they have 3 bedroom units, are right in town, look over Cruz Bay and have an exercise room.

Edited: 30 May 2014, 12:02
CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condos vs. private villas vs Westin

While I do not know every villa on STJ, I know many and I am not aware of a 3 bedroom on the beach with an exercise room so I think that you need to realize that something will have to give.

STJ has beautiful beaches because there are no homes on them. Bottom Line.

You also mention self catering. Another thing to remember is that there are no staffed villas on STJ. Yes, you can hire someone to come in and cook meals or you can hire a daily housekeeper but when you rent a villa on STJ, you get the villa.

STJ is not like other Caribbean beach destinations. That is why so many of us love it.

When we are on STJ, we spend very little time at the villa. Our days are spent exploring the beaches of the National Park. There is usually a villa gravity day, when we are just too tuckered out to do much of anything but in general, the villa is a place to enjoy coffee in the morning, shower and late afternoon swims, and sleeping.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condos vs. private villas vs Westin

There is a March 7th trip report from Donaldfagen about his families stay at Westin specifically mentioning the gym/ healthclub that I think would be helpful. Many enjoy the Westin but as others have said, you will want a jeep to beach hop.

East Coast
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Condos vs. private villas vs Westin

We have not stayed in a condo or the Westin so I really can't compare for you. I don't think we ever will though. We enjoy the privacy of the Villa's too much.

We are renting a Villa next year that has fitness room. I bet that can be found for your family. Just not beachfront. Driving to the beaches is fun on St John.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
641 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Condos vs. private villas vs Westin

Don't limit yourself to just looking for 3 bedroom. Look at 4 or 5 bedrooms because they are larger and have more generally in terms of rooms. the management companies will lock the rooms you don't use and they usually only charge by the person. If you want to walk to a beach in that budget, stick with the south side.