We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where are the Mangos on St John?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where are the Mangos on St John?

My girlfriend and I have spent most of our time in the USVIs on St Croix. We LOVE mangos and usually go to Mango Melee this time of year on St Croix. This year - in fact in about a week - we will be on St John. Wondering if like on St Croix there are fruit stands scattered throughout St John that sell mangos? Or any grocery stores that sell great mangos? Any "mango direction" would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,422 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where are the Mangos on St John?

There's a lady next to Connections with a fruit stand and she has mangoes. There may be others.

NC
Level Contributor
822 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where are the Mangos on St John?

Oh, I second the lady next to Connections - They are yummy & sweet!! :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where are the Mangos on St John?

They're STJ mangos?

UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where are the Mangos on St John?

Probably Jamaican?

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,422 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where are the Mangos on St John?

We don't get mangoes from Jamaica. Her mangoes definitely look local, but I haven't asked.

St Croix may have more Julie Mangoes than St Croix, and there are fewer grafted mangoes in the VI than most other tropical places. Most mangoes in US come from Mexico. Are they organic? Thee VI mangoes are more than likely organic.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where are the Mangos on St John?

Thanks for the info you all! Yes, on St Croix Julie mangos grow and are probably the favorite of everyone I know there. They are super sweet! My favorite mango on St Croix is what we call "chicken mangos"....They are mid size and yellow and in my opinion, the perfect sweet/tangy combination. The locals laugh when they see me fighting off the chickens in the morning to pick them up off the ground. -- and say "We don't eat those!!!". Well, I do....!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,422 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where are the Mangos on St John?

There's a huge mango tree next door to me on STT, and the chickens on that property LOVE them. I'll post later about the mango situation.

ct. usa
Level Contributor
450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where are the Mangos on St John?

We did ask the lady with the fruit cart next to Connections about the mangoes. She told us the smaller yellow mangoes were local and the larger greener ones not. I bought the small yellow ones- they were as sweet as candy, but a bit "stringy". I would choose the local ones again -

9. Re: Where are the Mangos on St John?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 05:17