We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

couples traveling together 2nd driver question.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,048 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
couples traveling together 2nd driver question.

So I never had to think about this before but since we will be going with my parents, they may want to take the jeep out on their own. If I add my Dad as the 2nd driver will this be an issue considering its my insurance, credit card etc...pretty sure we will be using Amalie this time?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,124 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: couples traveling together 2nd driver question.

It shouldn't be, but you should call your insurance agent to be sure. We have had a second driver on many of our trips, but we had to list them on the contract. Their own policy should cover them too, but you should ask your agent (and your parents). We have never purchased insurance offered by the car rental companies.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,048 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: couples traveling together 2nd driver question.

Thanks Bluewater,

I sent an email to Amalie as well . Both my and my parents insurance policies " follow the driver" but was not sure what the rental companies take is on it.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: couples traveling together 2nd driver question.

When we rented from Dependable, both my wife and I neeeded to be specifically named to be covered. I think that cost $5/day more, but I cannot be sure. When we rented from Amalie this year, my wife went and did the paperwork and she didnt have to name me - since we were the same family, Amalie said. Not sure how that exactly would work for parents, but asking Amalie certainly seems like the righjt next step

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,685 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: couples traveling together 2nd driver question.

Any insurance that applies only covers incidents when the driver is authorized to be driving. Some agencies automatically include one extra driver at no charge, and sometimes that's limited to the spouse of the renter. As Colin notes, some agencies will charge for adding another driver.

Even if you're not driving, as the renter you will be the driver the insurance follows. Your father's insurance might (but don't count on it) offer some kind of liability protection, but it will be your insurance (and then any coverage from your credit card) that covers any damage to the car.

I'm pretty sure that the rental companies' take is that they'd rather charge to authorize other competent drivers than have you protected by insurance.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,124 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: couples traveling together 2nd driver question.

Just remember to stay LEFT and wear your seatbelt !!! It's the co-pilot's job to say "LEFT" everytime you get in the car. We've been going 20+ yrs and still do it.

Have a great trip!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,048 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: couples traveling together 2nd driver question.

Just heard back from Amy of Amalie: no problem adding 2nd driver and no charge:) we will both double check with our agents regarding ins. Coverage.

Weatherford, Texas
Level Contributor
246 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: couples traveling together 2nd driver question.

Just got back and uses amalie w/my parents driving 1 vehicle... No issues with it at all.

8. Re: couples traveling together 2nd driver question.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 06:17