We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bioluminous on stj

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
Bioluminous on stj

Anyone heard of going to a beach at night for the glow in the dark plankton? A local talked about it but was unsure when and where to go

Wellesley, Ma
Level Contributor
796 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bioluminous on stj

If you do a google search, you see an old thread that talks about seeing some in several places around or after a full moon. But, you will never find anything like what you see in Vieques. There is also apparently a place you can go on St. Croix - rumtherapy.com/2011/…

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bioluminous on stj

Years ago went out on the Sadie Sea for a night snorkel with the original owner (i.e. Sadie). Don't know where she took us but it was somewhere around St. John/St. Thomas and I believe it was Summer. The ocean was alive with fluorescent plankton. Seems that movement in the water caused the plankton to light. We were drawing images and names in the water by the movement of our hands. It was right out of the Disney Fantasia movie.

gaminrealm.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/fa…

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bioluminous on stj

We were able to briefly experience the bioluminous along the north shore of Roatan a few years ago. Our villa had a long pier with a ladder. We climbed in with our snorkel gear after dark. For about 30 seconds, it was wonderful - sort of like directing an orchestra of lights under water. Then our arms and neck began stinging. Ouch! Jellyfish were wrapping around our arms. The fun was over. The lights went out. We climbed out with welts on both arms. Some baking soda and ten minutes later, there was no more pain. It was great fun while it lasted. Not sure of the jellyfish situation in the USVI but they are common near Roatan. We should have thought of that.

New London, New...
Level Contributor
366 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bioluminous on stj

Bannana, The bio bay in Vieques went dark in January. Shocking & sad.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bioluminous on stj

Vieques is returning slowly -- they are not sure of the reason for the problem earlier this year.

http://www.casadekathy.com/vieques/bio-bay/

It is often very evident in Round Bay STJ and I have seen it very brightly in Red Hook STT on a few occasions.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
103 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bioluminous on stj

We have seen it a few times here in NC; as dftkc said, you need to "agitate" the water a little to get the plankton to give off light--we first noticed it while wading and kicking the water a bit. Once we using the outdoor showers after an evening swim and my daughter and her friend starting shrieking with delight--they were sparkling as if coated with glitter from the plankton left on their skin.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bioluminous on stj

We've seen it in Playa del Carmen several times. It was like the waves glowed.

Bourbon, IN
Level Contributor
431 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bioluminous on stj

I hadn't heard about it on St. John but we went on a clear bottom kayak tour on what they call bio bay. It was AMAZING!! The darker the better, so you can't go when it's close to a full moon. If you're ever on St. Croix I highly recommend going to bio bay but go with the clear bottom company!!

9. Re: Bioluminous on stj

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 05:17