We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with 1 year old

Charleston, South...
5 posts
Save Topic
Traveling with 1 year old

Hey everyone,

We had plans for just me and my wife to go to St John for a week to celebrate our 5 year anniversary. We have been here twice before already and love it. Unfortunately, our plans for someone to watch our 1-year old fell through. The cost of cancelling the trip is too great, but we might have no choice. Would you recommend traveling with a 1-year old? What would be the major items we need to worry about before deciding? Thanks so much!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with 1 year old

Where are you staying? Some places don't allow children under a certain age. If they do allow a 1 yr old, they may have a portable crib for your use. Ask. I know there are now a couple places where to can rent baby items. Connections might be one, but not sure. There is also a babysitting service available. There was a (fairly) recent post about it, to give you a night or two out. One thing I'd bring is an inflatable ring float (w/seat of course) with a canopy for the baby. We have seen parents using these for the little ones on several occasions. Good luck!

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with 1 year old

As long as your villa allows it, YES! Little guys love St. John too. It won't be the romantic getaway you had planned, but it will be a memorable family vacation that you all should enjoy. Ask your villa if they have a portable crib or anything else available that you can have use of while you are here for your little one. A couple of tips….

Sunscreen should be applied before you leave the house, even if you are only going to be walking around town. And a hat is a really good idea.

St. John is not stroller friendly, a backpack carrier or front carrier is much better.

Maho is a great beach for little ones or people with mobility issues because it is calm and shallow.

Don't over do it on the 'gear'. They don't need as much stuff as we think they do. (took me awhile to figure that out with my first. We always brought too much stuff and it make it a real hassle)

Hydrate! Your little one will need to drink lots of water (as will you) in this environment so they don't get dehydrated.

If you want to rent some baby gear, you can contact Christy's, http://www.christysofstjohn.com or Island Baby, https://islandbabyvi.com

I'm sure more will chime in, and I will probably think of more, but this is a start. Hope you all have a great time and would love to hear a trip report when you return home :)

Pa.
Level Contributor
4,838 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with 1 year old

Search the forum, I believe somebody recently just posted a very similar question and there were lots of great replies on things to do with an infant.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
79 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with 1 year old

I have posted this previously.

My child's first trip was at 8 months. Be sure to bring plenty of formula if you use it as the price for it (at least 5yrs ago) was outrageous when we ran out and it was difficult to find the brand we used. (we were sure we had sent extra).

I mailed a box of diapers, wipes, and baby snacks and food etc. to Connections http://www.connectionsstjohn.com/ .

I used USPS priority as it is US Mail and it was quite inexpensive. I can say that having the peace of mind of having all of the things you use everyday waiting for you is great. I insured the mailing for what I thought the replacement value of the items would be in STJ in case it didn't make it. DO NOT TRY STANDARD MAIL. (I did this the following year and my package arrived two days after I left.)

I gate check a car seat so that I have it no matter what happens. I rent a car at the airport and take the car barge, This prevents loading into a taxi - unloading - loading on a boat - unloading - loading into a car - driving to my destination. Instead - I loaded my child into the car - and usually unload a sleeping child at the villa.

Despite what has been said about STJ being not stroller friendly, I recommend that you bring a stroller. It is difficult to use but can be done. It is nice if your child wants to sleep while you have lunch or dinner out. My child had one when young. It made things so much easier when we were out that the difficulty of getting it there was outweighed by a sleeping child as I enjoyed a meal.

Our favorite baby friendly restaurants are Aqua Bistro and High Tide. Have fun it'll be hard not to.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with 1 year old

Our son came with us as an infant (he is now 8yo with many trips under his belt) and I would recommend it.

Ask your rental agent about a portable crib if you need one. One time the agency provided us one free of charge. Another time the house had an impressive array of baby gear. If you need to rent, I recommend Island Baby.

Bring your own carseat. We rented once (not from Island Baby) and the one provided was awful. The plastic base was cracked and the cover was very dirty.

We were a baby wearing family and I agree with Julie that Cruz Bay is not a stroller friendly place. There are streets with no side walks so you will be strolling in the lane of traffic. Other streets have very narrow sidewalks. A good number of restaurants have stairs but some don't. I know there are parents that need a stroller to keep them and baby happy so you'll need to decide on your own.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling with 1 year old

Leslie of Kids Night In, comes highly recommended if you want a day to snorkel or a night out.

New London, New...
Level Contributor
366 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling with 1 year old

I always traveled with a cheep/light wieght umbrella stroller. Much easier getting through the airport. and, as another poster pointed out, the stroller gives baby a famiiar place to nap, sit, chill at the beach or in town. If your shipping diappers, formula, rice cereal (reccomended) then ship some small buckets or plastic cups. One year olds love pouring water/sand etc.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling with 1 year old

Worst part for us was usually the flight, after that it was a piece of cake. We never had regrets about traveling with our kids (2, 19 months apart) but to be fair we never had regrets about leaving them behind on the rare occasion when we could.

During the flight it was just too much time in too small a space but mostly it was the disapproving looks from supposed grown-ups. It only got bad if they got over tired or one of them was congested; the pressure changes caused pain. I read some hints on Yahoo recently that suggested parents spend a minute introducing the little one to people in the cabin around their seats before take off then make a joking comment that if the child acts up during the flight to just feel free to ask and you'd be happy to step outside until baby calms down.

Safety at whatever location we arrived at was always our main concern - water hazards, sun, mosquitoes would be at the top of my list for St J. We'd also make plan a stop at the Tutu K-Mart to load up on supplies: diapers, toys, sunscreen and whatever. Umbrella stroller is a nice suggestion as long as both or you aren't tall - they are murder on the backs for a tall person - so lucky for me my wife got stroller duty. I see folks travelling with those monster stroller things and I scratch my head. Good luck.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
79 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling with 1 year old

I definitely agree that if you plan to bring a stroller that it should be a lightweight umbrella stroller.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling with 1 year old

I want to add that I recommend Leslie from Kids Night In as well. She is super! And it would be great for the two of you to enjoy some alone time on what you thought was going to be a romantic getaway :) Leslie is outstanding and highly qualified.