We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stepped on a sea urchin, now what?

Boston...
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stepped on a sea urchin, now what?

Was snorkeling in Haulover bay, stepped back to gain a grip and my left foot landed on a sea urchin (those big black ones with long needles). I have five pricks, and I'm not sure what to do. Here are some questions I have off the top of my head:

1: So the needle seem to be embedded in the ball of my foot...I'll need to take it out right? I'm soaking it in warm water to see if we can take it out carefully.

2: I read various sources that some tend to resolve. I don't want to leave it to chance. I know another thread says that medical care here is pretty good...do you think they have the capability to remove the needles?

3: ...or should I wait until I get back to the states to have somebody take it out?

I have four more days here, and don't want to ruin the rest of the vacation for my family. Any help is really appreciated!

Thanks

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
647 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stepped on a sea urchin, now what?

Sorry to hear that. I have no experience first hand but I've read that one should soak it as long as possible in vinegar. That should dissolve it.

Edited: 05 July 2014, 21:35
New London, New...
Level Contributor
366 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stepped on a sea urchin, now what?

redhookfamilypractice.com/index.cfm/fuseacti…

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
161 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stepped on a sea urchin, now what?

View this link:

www.wikihow.com/Treat-a-Sea-Urchin-Sting

We used the "vinegar method" with some but not complete success. Took a couple of weeks for complete relief.

Good luck...

Boston...
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Stepped on a sea urchin, now what?

Thanks for the quick responses. Will try Vinegar to see if some dissolves. Sucks...

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stepped on a sea urchin, now what?

Suggest you to go to either Red Hook Family Practice as posted earlier or to the Myrah Keating Smith Community Health Center Clinic (340) 776 -6400.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Stepped on a sea urchin, now what?

My neice when visiting me stepped on one also and had 23 in one foot. There is nothing you can do and DO NOT try to pull them out - you just have to wait. She soaked in vinegar for 20 minutes at a time to try to help.

Good luck

Pia

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stepped on a sea urchin, now what?

I have heard that green papaya has an enzyme - papain? - that helps to break down the embedded spines more quickly.

Also bromelain which is contained in Pineapple is a known tenderizer and available in tablet form to dissolve in water at pharmacy /vitamin stores.

New London, New...
Level Contributor
366 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Stepped on a sea urchin, now what?

Is your tetanus up to date? Call the clinic.

Parkton Md
Level Contributor
121 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stepped on a sea urchin, now what?

Vinegar, drink plenty of rum. Hope you make out OK.

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stepped on a sea urchin, now what?

This happened to me years ago in Martinque. I tried vinegar, had parrafin melted from a candle, and even urine all to no avail. The spines gradually become absorbed by your body. And it did hurt. It won't help you now but I always wear hard soled booties when I snorkel North Haulover...even softer booties will work. All I can

Suggest now is to go to the clinic if you need pain pills and perhaps some adult beverages.