We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camera died any suggestions.

Hudson, NH
Level Contributor
26 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Camera died any suggestions.

Help my underwater camera died today. I have the ret of the week in st josh plus a week in the Bvi's to go. Is there anywhere to purchase or rent on St. John? Or Tortola ?

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,765 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camera died any suggestions.

Check the Honeymoon Hut at Honeymoon Beach. They have rented cameras before, but may limit use to their area.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Camera died any suggestions.

So sorry that stings. If you're willing to give up some time you can definitely purchase on St. Thomas - Royal Caribbean and others. Dive BVI at Leverick on Virgin Gorda has some equipment.

Worst case buy a couple of the Kodak disposables.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,675 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camera died any suggestions.

If you don't have any luck on St John, hop on the ferry to St Thomas and go to either Boolchands or Royal Caribbean - both have stores in the Havensight Mall.

Bristol, Indiana
Level Contributor
365 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camera died any suggestions.

Bummer! That happened to us on one trip. It was our third time to the island that year. I told my husband to just enjoy and not worry about taking photos. We saw everything that trip. We did not want to give up a day and take the ferry to St. Thomas. We probably should have though.......

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,765 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camera died any suggestions.

Royal Caribbean store in Havensight closed a few weeks ago. Closest place may be KMart, but haven't noticed if they still carry them.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
567 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camera died any suggestions.

I second (or third) making the trip to St. Thomas and Havensight for a new camera. If it happened to me, that's where I'd be going. You can do it in a couple of hours. I couldn't be without a camera (which is why I travel with two of them). Good luck!

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camera died any suggestions.

There is a new place on St. John that you might want to try first. It's called Beach Bum, located on the second level of the building at the ferry dock, by St. John Spice. Here is a little article about the place, newsofstjohn.com/2014/… Sorry to hear about your camera :( Hopefully Andrew and Kara can help you out without having to make a trip to St. Thomas.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camera died any suggestions.

As with the rest of the suggestions, I'd take the time and go to STT. You can take the Charlotte Amalie ferry and if you are quick make the return trip - I've done that when I lost a Jeep key when renting from Dependable. I think the turnaround time is about 45 minutes. But there was one suggestion about getting some Kodak disposables. I wouldn't do that. IMO, you need to post-process the underwater photos. I've always been disappointed by the disposable pictures to the extent that I just wouldn't bother taking them.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,675 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camera died any suggestions.

The camera/developing center at the big KMart in Tutu Park Mall has been gone for quite some time.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camera died any suggestions.

I would first check Beach Bum, if they don;t have one, I would take the quick run over to STT and pick one up. You can do it in a few hours and if you time it right, you can have a delicious lunch at Gladys' Cafe.