We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best 1/2 day or day charter for families

Charlotte, North...
9 posts
Save Topic
Best 1/2 day or day charter for families

I will be heading down to St John at the end of July and my 12 year old son will be with me. Can anyone recommend a good day sail/charter with snorkeling that is good for people bringing their kids? Also if there are any other families going down at the end of July we would possibly be interested in splitting something. Can't wait!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best 1/2 day or day charter for families

If you are on the Corall Bay side of the island, the SerenaSea is a great option (SerenaSea.com). It is a 30' restored mahagony yacht. I recently took my 14 and 10 year old grandchildren and spent a wonderful afternoon at 2 snorkeling spots with Captain Marie at the helm. We were the only passengers, it was laid back and was long enough for us to be tired from the snorkeling after a few hours and then enjoy the ocean views and a cool drink.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best 1/2 day or day charter for families

Wayward Sailor with Capt. Phil is a good option. He likes to jump in for a snorkel and point out interesting critters. We're experienced snorkelers, but pointed out octopus and eels that we missed.

Cheers, RickG

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
10 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best 1/2 day or day charter for families

Interesting. A few years back we had a disappointing experience on the Wayward as Captain Phil had us cleaning our masks and he was telling stories for about an hour. We had about 45 minutes in the water and he basically took off on his own. We then rushed back to Cruz as he had a wedding to do that evening. That same evening we ran into a family at Skinny Legs who had been on the same trip and they were equally disappointed.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
647 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best 1/2 day or day charter for families

I can also recommend Serena Sea as well as Busy Bee Charters both out of Coral Bay.

Edited: 11 July 2014, 15:28
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
29 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best 1/2 day or day charter for families

I recommend Capt. Cleve with Local Flavor Charters. He’s a wonderful guy, an excellent Captain, and he’s great with kids. Local Flavor is a very comfortable powerboat that will allow you to explore all the great snorkeling spots and even some “secret spots” that Capt. Cleve knows about. There is so much beauty on St. John and so many wonderful beaches. And, with Local Flavor Charters, you can ask the Captain to take you over to the BVI’s for more fun. (Passports Required) You will enjoy every minute of it!

Local Flavor Charters

340-513-1431

capt_cleve@yahoo.com

Safe Travels!!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best 1/2 day or day charter for families

Cleve is awesome for an all-day charter. He really knows the waters.

Sorry to hear the negative review on Wayward Sailor. My daughters love it. They love John Brandi on Palm Tree Charters too.

Cheers, RickG

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
429 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best 1/2 day or day charter for families

We always use Island Wilson Excursions. Captain Bradley Wilson provides an excellent trip, knows the waters well, and is awesome with kids! (Adults too!!!)

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best 1/2 day or day charter for families

We just did a day trip with Stormy Petrel/Pirates Penny with our 13 and 10 year old sons--it was terrific! There was another group that included a 3 or 4 year old girl on board with us for a total of 9 guests. Jug and Carrie were the captain and first mate. They gave us a lot of information about the surrounding islands, the history, pointed out a lot of interesting things during snorkeling, and gave a good tour of the Baths. Highly recommended!

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best 1/2 day or day charter for families

I also highly recommend Cleve at Local Flavor Charters, www.localfavorcharters.com He offers a combination day as well so you could do some snorkeling/exploring as well as a fishing. I'm sure your son would enjoy that! He could try out handline fishing, which is a lot of fun. Been out with him quite a bit, an my whole family always enjoys it (including my 13 year old son). Cleve has a younger son himself, and he is really good with the kids. Takes the time to explain things to them and gets them involved. Would love to hear a review of your boat trip when you return. Enjoy!

north carolina
Level Contributor
413 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best 1/2 day or day charter for families

Ditto Cleve with Local Flavor. We have been out with him 7 times and already have him booked for 2 days next April. He's so accommodating and great with kids. Tell him Wendy from NC said Hi!!