We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive from STT to Red Hook

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
drive from STT to Red Hook

How is the drive from the airport to red hook. i am thinking of renting a car at the airport then taking the car barge to St JOHN

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive from STT to Red Hook

Depends on when your flight arrives, and day of the week. STT, in general is quite busy, especially if there are cruise ships in port.. How do you feel about driving on the LEFT? I would allow 35-45 minutes. More if you are arriving in late afternoon. Another consideration is when you have to catch the car barge back to STT at the end of your trip to make your flight.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drive from STT to Red Hook

We arrive 11/27/14 and leave 12/10/14. We have rented a car on St John so i have driven on the left. I know the traffic on St Thomas can get very busy

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drive from STT to Red Hook

You are going to be there the same time as us! We are renting our jeep on STJ since it's just the 2 of us this trip. Staying at Grande Bay for the first time. Will be a very different trip for us. We usually go with family/friends and stay in villas.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drive from STT to Red Hook

It is a relatively easy drive....35-40 minutes depending on traffic and if there are multiple cruise ships in the harbor unloading passengers. We typically rent from Discount and only buy the 1 way ferry ticket as you don't know which ferry will be there when you need to return. Then just go to the upper deck and enjoy the short cruise across the channel. We will be there 7/25...cannot wait!

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: drive from STT to Red Hook

Just don't be in a hurry and you will be fine. We've done this drive several times. In fact we will also be on island some of the same time period as you. The countdown is on!

md
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: drive from STT to Red Hook

Ughhh...I just realized that 3 ships are in port the day we are arriving and we rent on STT and drive to Red Hook. We might have to take the slightly longer route that goes north instead of the route hugging the coast.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: drive from STT to Red Hook

Last November there were 5 boats in dock and we did just fine with the trip to Red Hook. We followed the coast. No problems and really no holdups. It probably depends what time your flight arrives as to how busy the road is going to be trying to get tourists back to the ships.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,973 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: drive from STT to Red Hook

The "back to the ship" routine is predominantly coming into town, i.e. east to west so doesn't have much effect on airport to Red Hook traffic. The major slowdowns are on weekdays when commuters are leaving town at the end of the day to return home. You can take either the coast road (Rte 32) or the mid-island route 38 once you're out of town and the time and distance is six of one and half a dozen of the other whatever the time of day and day of week.

9. Re: drive from STT to Red Hook

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 06:16