We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice..

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Need advice..

We decided to do a last minute trip to St. John.. Leaving in 2 weeks..need your input... We are arriving on Sunday , heading home on Saturday. Has anyone stayed at the Gallows lower level harbor view? A little worried about the noise.. We are thinking of heading to Jost on 'Wednesday, staying the night returning Thursday to the gallows...so my questions ..are most restaurants/bars open on St John? With entertainment? And can someone suggest a place to stay on Jost..will Foxy's be open? Again concerned about low season..thanks everyone, your input is appreciated!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,696 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice..

No advice on Gallows noise, sorry.

One night on Jost may be tough. You can camp at Ivan's or see if the Soggy Dollar has a room. I know they have a minimum stay in season, not sure about off season. Perfect Pineapple is another option to check.

I have never taken the ferry so I don't know about the schedule but I am pretty sure it doesn't run every day, I would check that first.

54b
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
513 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice..

Have done the one nighter on Jost at Ivan's Campground. It was fun, but definitely a lot closer to actual camping as Tink mentioned above. Cabins are basically four walls, a door and a fan. Bathrooms and showers are community style. And at this time of year, it can make for one "hot" night and not necessarily the good kind of hot. Total was about $75 if memory serves.

Never stayed at SandCastle, the place behind Soggy's, but it looked nice and they do have A/C rooms. I think they're about $200/night if there's availability. And I think it also includes breakfast.

Boston...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice..

Thanks TInkerbell.. Can you comment on Grande bay vs Gallows? Grande is quoting a higher price. We are looking for 1 bedroom within walking distance to town. Still concerned about low season ...can you comment on restaurants / closing etc..

Boston...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice..

Thanks! I will look at Sandcastle .. Does anyone know of a schedule for Foxy's or other bar entertainment?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,898 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice..

All the restaurants and shops will still be open in 2 weeks. They don't usually start to close until end of August, Sept or Oct. Even during those times, there are still plenty of places to eat.

As far as noise levels; if you are sitting outside I think Grande Bay would be louder because it's closer to the Beach Bar. I've not stayed at either (staying at Grande Bay end of Nov/early Dec), but have read here on TA about noise at night at Grande Bay. But those same people also said that when they went inside and closed the doors they didn't hear a thing. Can't remember ever reading anything about noise at Gallows.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,898 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice..

One other thing to consider. Gallows has beautiful grounds to enjoy. Grande Bay is all concrete.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice..

Gallows also offers access to snorkeling. I'd pay a bit extra for that alone.

Syracuse
Level Contributor
472 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice..

I stayed at the downstairs harbor view for a few nights last August. I heard a bit of music (from the beach bar maybe). It didn't bother me (and I'm sensitive to noise), so either the music ended early or I didn't hear it with the a/c on.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advice..

You might want to check out Sea Shore Allure, www.seashoreallure.com I just had the opportunity to check out the property. It pretty much knocked my socks off. Their attention to detail is over the top. And since all the units are owned, operated, and maintained by the same (detail oriented, high standards) people, every unit is fantastic. It's a bit more of a walk to town than Gallows or Grande Bay, it is only a 10 minute walk to town. They also told me they are running a special through the end of October. I believe it is, 5 night stay gets you a 2 day jeep rental, 7 night stay gets you a $400 credit to use towards jeep rental, spa treatments, dinner reservations, etc.

You can also check out St. John Spice's website to see about restaurant closings. Ruth, very graciously, keeps a list of closings on her website: www.stjohnspice.com Click on the restaurant/bars tab. Don't forget to stop in her shop to pick up some goodies while you are here. The Cruz Bay Grill Rub is a big hit! Enjoy!

Edited: 19 July 2014, 10:58
Smithfield, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need advice..

We always go in August and just about everything is opened.

I've noticed over the last few years less places are closed and more are open than when we first started traveling there 10+ years ago, so no worries about finding places to eat, drink and enjoy some music.