We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to St. John is Aug 11-17- what should I see/do?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Altoona...
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to St. John is Aug 11-17- what should I see/do?

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are heading to St. John next month for the first time, and I'm starting to get excited! I've been reading forums and websites, but am feeling overwhelmed at what I should see and do. What are your suggestions on must-sees and must-dos for a first timer? We are staying at the Westin Villas.

Thanks!

1. Re: First trip to St. John is Aug 11-17- what should I see/do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 13:33
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,953 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to St. John is Aug 11-17- what should I see/do?

Are you renting a jeep?

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to St. John is Aug 11-17- what should I see/do?

The Westin Villas are a good home base. Rent a Jeep for a few days and explore The Coral Bay/ East End ares. Cruz Bay has good drinks and food. You can take taxis from the Westin to Cruz Bay and most North Shore beaches.

Altoona...
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to St. John is Aug 11-17- what should I see/do?

I wasn't planning to rent a jeep... but I haven't really looked into it. Is that recommended?

Edited: 18 July 2014, 18:42
5. Re: First trip to St. John is Aug 11-17- what should I see/do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 13:33
Level Contributor
277 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to St. John is Aug 11-17- what should I see/do?

Rent a jeep for sure! We are staying at the Westin in October (Only because it was free with Am Ex points) and we only plan on showering and sleeping there.

Order this book

amazon.com/John-Feet-Fins-Wheel-Drive/dp/096…

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,953 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to St. John is Aug 11-17- what should I see/do?

I agree you should a jeep for at least a few days. We always have one for our entire stay, but we always stay at private villas where getting a taxi is not an option. There is a rental company at The Westin (I think Courtesy?) If you want to rent for the whole week, I would reserve one now. www.stjohnusvi.com has a complete list of rental companies. I would call, not e-mail. They can be very slow about replying to e-mails (if at all).

Things on our must do list (which of course depends on the weather) are:

snorkel Waterlemon Cay

hike to Denis Bay

go to Hawksnest, Francis and Maho beaches to snorkel or just hang out or both.

go to Little Lameshur for same

Eat at Banana Deck, Candi's BBQ, Ocean Grille and Aqua Bistro (in Coral Bay). Drinks at Banana Deck and The Beach Bar. A lot of people love Woody's. We finally made it there last year for happy hour, but it was too loud (music blasting) and very crowded. (we're old...) The shark bites were good and good prices on drinks/beer, but we won't make a point of going back.

For a first timer I recommend spending one day in Coral Bay. Go to Salt Pond in the AM, then take the short hike to Drunk Bay (take your camera - you'll know why when you get there). Have lunch at the Tourist Trap, Skinny Legs or Shipwreck Landing. Then go to Little Lameshur for a few hours. Have dinner at Aqua Bistro (make reservations).

If you like to hike, take the Reef Bay hike with the National Park Service. Hike down and take the boat back. They only do it twice (maybe 3x?) a week. Make reservations now as they fill up quickly.

Have a great trip!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to St. John is Aug 11-17- what should I see/do?

lostintranslation2 & bluewater43 have hit the highlights for sure! And yes a jeep is a must. STJ is small but packs a great vacation punch.

Altoona...
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to St. John is Aug 11-17- what should I see/do?

Thanks, all! Keep the suggestions coming :) I will certainly look into the Jeep rental!

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to St. John is Aug 11-17- what should I see/do?

O'Connor is the Jeep rental company at the Westin. I would suggest getting a Jeep for at least three days. You have to get out to the other side of the island because those beaches are nice but there is limited transportation by taxi. You can take taxis to the North Shore beaches, but you sacrifice at bit of the freedom and convenience a Jeep gives you to move as you want.

I love Hanson Bay out on the East End. Vie's beach will cost you $2.50 to get on but she does have some chairs and a little food stand. I hear there is now another beach available out there where there is boat bar called Angles Rest. Angles Rest used to come to Vie's but I think this new place is it's home foe now. Salt Pond is a cool area to explore and snorkel. Little Lameshur as well.

Cruz Bay has good food from BBQ to high end fare. I like Woody's, Lime Inn, Joes Rum Hut and the Beach Bar but there are many more good places. The Beach Bar and Joes Rum Hut are particularly good to watch the sunsets.

I frequently stay at the Westin Villas. I am going down next week for 12 days. It is a relaxing atmosphere poolside. They have decent food and drinks. I enjoy the late afternoon there after a day out at the beaches. There is a food market within walking distance if you need to pick up some food, snacks or alcohol. The Westin will give you a welcome pack which has a 10% off card you can use there and other places in Cruz Bay.

Have fun, relax and enjoy the beauty.