We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mampoo Hill

juless07
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Mampoo Hill

Just returned last night from an incredible week on the island. I am in such a funk...missing it already. Just wanted to give some info on where we stayed - Mampoo Hill in Devers Bay.

This property is not for everyone....but we LOVED it!!! It is right on a rocky beach complete with hammock. Snorkeling is there as well...but it was a bit rough. The house is completely open with 2 seperate master suites on each end of it. The suites are airconditioned or you can open the screened windows and listen to the waves. There is this unique sound made on a section of the beach where there are small rocks....when the waves recede ...it makes this really cool sound - a snap crackle pop kind of sound - almost like those rain sticks - you have to hear it for yourself

You lived on the decks. Breakfast, cocktails, star gazing. Plenty of shade and no problem with insects (which was my biggest fear) 2 resident iguanas that we named Larry and Theresa came and hung out with us on the deck every day.

The little banana quits "yelled" at us until we filled their feeders with sugar water.

If you are looking for "fancy" or a resort type feel - then this place is not for you. If you are looking for privacy, a short drive to Cruz Bay (10 minutes), for the sound of palm trees swaying in the breeze and the sound of the waves crashing to the shore - then check out their website.

I am NOT being paid to endorse -LOL- we just absolutely loved it and we will go back in the near future - but this time for a minimum of 10 days. The week just flew by.......

many thanks to this forum - I did a lot of reading prior to this trip. Though this was my 4th trip to the island...the last one was 15 years ago - so the info I read was very useful.

If you are a first timer going - you will see that every turn/bend in the road brings you upon another gorgeous vista..another gorgeous beach. Snorkel as many beaches as you can fit in.

It is what the island is about - it's not just the rum (though rum IS an important part of it)

St John is and will always be a special place for me. I have no doubt whatsoever that we will be back in the very near future

Mentioned in this post
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mampoo Hill

What's the website for Mampoo Hill? This is one I've never heard of.

How about a trip report? Especially since you hadn't been in 15 years! Your thoughts on the changes..

Edited: 21 July 2014, 18:26
juless07
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mampoo Hill

http://www.vrbo.com/233104

caribbeanrentalhomes.com/mampoo/mampoo.htm

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mampoo Hill

Lovely.

Smithfield, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mampoo Hill

I know exactly what you are saying about the sound of the little pebbles being brought in and then the trickling noise they make when the waves recede. We love staying as close to the water as possible even if the beaches are rocky, who cares, you are in paradise!

We are 18 days away from leaving (but who's counting), and I've already checked fares for February! LOL!! I'm a sick woman, there's no cure for the St. John addiction!

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mampoo Hill

We're big fans of that area having stayed at three villas and visited friends at two villas. I love the sunrise/sunset views from the ridge.

Cheers, RickG

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mampoo Hill

The villa really looks interesting, especially the deck area. Sounds like you had a very enjoyable time.

juless07
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mampoo Hill

Not only am I planning to return very soon - I just applied for a job at the Westin!

I was so out of sorts today - so missing the island

I cannot wait to go back........

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mampoo Hill

Sandy - you aren't the only ones with an addiction! We've been going for 20+ years. Going end of Nov/early Dec and just booked today for last week of April/early May 2015 with 2 newbies. If only I could win the lottery.....

54b
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
759 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mampoo Hill

Any idea where they got the name, Mampoo, and also, was your hair any softer and shinier after staying at this villa?

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Mampoo Hill

Mampoo Pisonia subcordata (water mampoo, loblolly tree)

The mampoo is relative of the common bougainvillea. It can be found on shorelines but is more commonly found as elevation increases and coastal scrub lands give way to dry forests. It is often the largest species in the dry forest environment. The trunk of the mampoo holds water enabling the tree to resist prolonged periods of droughts.

http://www.seestjohn.com/flora_mampoo.html

Rocky Dock

Water Island

Mentioned in this post
Water Island
Water Island
409 Reviews
St. Thomas