We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Light grocery shopping - do it in St Thomas or St John?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Altoona...
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Light grocery shopping - do it in St Thomas or St John?

Hello,

I'm arriving in St. Thomas late August 11 and staying over and checking in at the Westin Villas on August 12. I'd like to get some light groceries- beer, lunchmeat, water, snacks - for our stay. Is it better to buy in St. Thomas and take over on the ferry or are the prices pretty much the same in St. John? I have been reading that it's generally pricier in St. John but I'm not sure if I want to bring everything over on the ferry. Thanks!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Light grocery shopping - do it in St Thomas or St John?

I would get it all on STJ. There is a great market almost directly across the street from the Westin that will have everything you need.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,727 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Light grocery shopping - do it in St Thomas or St John?

Unless you are renting your vehicle on STT and taking the car barge over, I would wait until you get to STJ. The prices are a little higher, but not that much. You can buy gallons of water at St John Ice (in the Lumberyard near the roundabout) for $1.50 then take the empties back for refills for 75 cents. Pine Peace Market, on the way to the Westin, has the best prices on beer. You can pick up snacks, packaged lunchmeat, booze & mixers, but they don't have a deli. Or you can stop at St John Market, which is also on the way to the Westin. They have a nice deli as well as some prepared foods if you don't feel like cooking or going out one night or to take to the beach.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Light grocery shopping - do it in St Thomas or St John?

Plenty of options on STJ, you'll be driving past at least 4 on the 10 minute drive from the ferry. bluewater43 hits the high points. Add in Dolphin Market and Starfish Market. St. John Market is walkable from the Westin, but take care and walk it during the day.

Cheers, RickG

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Light grocery shopping - do it in St Thomas or St John?

All depends where you rent the jeep from, We always use Amalie on STT for their great service, so we hit a market on the big island before heading over. After 2 years of hitting Food Center we did Pueblo this year and enjoyed the expanded variety.

Altoona...
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Light grocery shopping - do it in St Thomas or St John?

I won't be renting a jeep until we get to St John and I'm thinking we won't even have it all week, just a few days.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Light grocery shopping - do it in St Thomas or St John?

St john market is right near the Westin and will have what you need. It makes no sense to lug groceries on the ferry. As for renting a car for only a couple days just realize that taxis charge by the person not the trip so very little savings if you taxi on days you do not have a vehicle, imho.

ct. usa
Level Contributor
411 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Light grocery shopping - do it in St Thomas or St John?

Would definitely shop on St. John- local stores have just about everything you will need. Then no worries about cold stuff getting warm on ferry. IMHO the price difference is negligible . Heh- you're going to St. John on vacation! It is nice to give business to the "local " shops. Have a wonderful time.

Altoona...
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Light grocery shopping - do it in St Thomas or St John?

Thanks, everyone! Not having to lug things over on a ferry sounds fantastic to me! We have never been, so we are just kind of playing things by ear until we get there. We don't want to book a Jeep for the whole week if we don't think we'll use it every day. So we'll see what happens once we get there. The goal is just to relax and go with the flow :)

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,727 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Light grocery shopping - do it in St Thomas or St John?

Regarding a jeep for the week - Are you aware The Westin is on a man made beach? There is no snorkeling and the water isn't the beautiful clear blue because of all the boats. You'll need to drive or take a taxi to the wonderful beaches St John is known for. As mentioned, taxis charge per person. ie: 2 people from the Cruz Bay dock to the Westin is $10 one way. From the Westin to Trunk Bay; ~ $40 round trip.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Light grocery shopping - do it in St Thomas or St John?

I get what your saying Altoona and depending on your arrival and departure times , renting on those days may not make sense. That being said in order to be able to go with the flow , get out and explore etc...your gonna need wheels and unless you want to spend Vaca time dealing with that I'd recommend you book it now to have from am of 2nd day till check out?

St john is small and easy to explore with so much to see, boat trips arent even necessary (saw your other post) but not having transportation will really limit you. I would have a jeep arranged for pickup upon arrival in Cruz Bay, just my 2 cents. Than head to Westin , stop at market anytime.

Edited: 25 July 2014, 18:56