We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late April vs. December

Ohio
Level Contributor
289 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Late April vs. December

Hi all -

My family (4 adults) wants to travel to St. John in the upcoming year. We are looking at two potential dates/weeks right now...

1. The week before Christmas

2. The 2nd to last week in April (17 - 25th)

The rates for the villas are much lower in April, but we're petrified of having a "rainy week" during our stay. I'm finding a lot of posts about rain in May, but not so many in April...

Thoughts? Which week would you pick?

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late April vs. December

We normally always travel in April and have traveled in December.

I really prefer April. The water is warmer and the air is warmer. Not that December is cold, it is not at all but I really prefer the water temps higher.

You will also likely save a bunch on your villa

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late April vs. December

I've gone in mid to late April 5 or 6 times and only had a rainy week once. 2 days it rained most or all day. The rest of the week we'd get a anywhere from a passing shower to an hour or two of rain.

Kentwood, Michigan...
Level Contributor
318 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late April vs. December

We always go in mid to late April. The most we've ever had was one day it rained most of the day. Other than that single day, the weather has always been perfect. We'll be on island next April in your time frame, so I'm sure the weather will be perfect :-)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late April vs. December

Think wind and wave conditions are calmer in April as well, December can have rough surf.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,874 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late April vs. December

It gets windy in December ( Christmas Winds) so imo April is better. Much better.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late April vs. December

I usually go in the first week of April. I've never had a week of rain. It does rain/shower at times, but they are short in duration. Occasionally I get woken up by a downpour at night.

Ohio
Level Contributor
289 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late April vs. December

Alright folks... off to Casa YaYa in April! Thanks for your help!

8. Re: Late April vs. December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2015, 05:18