We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asolare

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Asolare

I'll admit that I have bashed the heck out of Asolare ever since they severed me a $50 entrée that included white rice as a starch. I'm a forgiving person and it looks like they've revamped their menu a bit.

2 Questions:

1. Is it any better, I've always claimed this place survives on its location...hard to beat that view

2. What's the best way to get there from Cruz Bay? That walk seems treacherous...would a taxi even bring you there?

I have 2 restaurant nights to fill, already on the list are the following. I don't think I'm missing anything else in Cruz Bay.

La Tapa (probably twice)

Waterfront Bistro

Fatty Crab

Ocean 362

Rhumblines

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asolare

We're big La Tapa fans. Zozo's at Caneel has been getting very good reviews from our foody friends. Virgin Fire seems to be settling in. Fatty Crab had a great run, but was just ok in March. D'Coal Pot is good Caribbean fare and we love Sogo's for the same. We've also been enjoying the food at Cruz Bay Landing. Banana Deck has been solid for lunch and dinner, we never seem to make it for weekend brunch and bloody mary bar.

Anthony at VIOL has a Cruz Bay restaurant map - virgin-islands-on-line.com/sj/….U-uCc4BdVGM

We've avoided Asolare the last couple of years. We have had two friends who ate at Asolare this year and enjoyed it.

Cheers, RickG

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,742 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Asolare

A taxi is a 5 minute ride from Cruz Bay. Can't comment on the food however. I just can't bring myself to spend $50pp on dinner when we can grill at our villa for less than 1/2 that, with a view that is almost as good, drinks costing next to nothing, no tipping and we can sit around the table as long as we want.

If you have a car for a day however, I recommend Aqua Bistro in Coral Bay. The risotto is delicious! As is everything else we've had. I always get tuna ponzu (Friday nights only) and my hubby gets something different each time. We have never been disappointed. The view isn't as good, but the food is worth the drive.

Go to the Banana Deck in Cruz Bay for lunch and get the Mahi wrap. It's huge and delicious! They also make an excellent ribeye at dinner and a great blackened mahi salad.

I'm making myself hungry. Time for lunch.

Grand Rapids...
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Asolare

We went to Asolare for dinner last week. Great food and great service. The price is a bit high but for a special occasion it was great. The staff was wonderful. We had a great night. We also loved Aqua Bistro in Coral Bay. Awesome view and fabulous food. Still a bit pricey for dinner and drinks but well worth the time and money. Awesome bartender - (Paul) and atmosphere is beautiful.

nj
Level Contributor
636 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Asolare

Is there a reason Zozo's is not on your list? You can easily get there by cab. We went to all the places on your list in April and Zozo's was, by far, the best. I would sit upstairs at the bar in Ocean 362 and order apps for better sunset viewing. Have fun!

Boston...
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Asolare

Zozo's isn't open in October

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,644 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Asolare

Check this closing list out - Ocean 362 is closed until October 15th, Fatty Crab until October 15th and La Tapa until 11th or 17th so depending when you are visiting in October you may have to rethink....

newsofstjohn.com/2014/…

Pia

Edited: 14 August 2014, 15:18
Boston...
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Asolare

Thanks Pia...we actually planned our vacation around a few of these openings: La Tapa and Fatty Crab. The owner of La Tapa is amazing and was extremely excited to open a bit early again this year.

Level Contributor
255 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Asolare

I was so bummed when I thought Latapa would be closed for our late October trip but now very excited that they will open just before we arrive!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
479 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Asolare

We went to Asolare in early July. It was good, not great. I had a steak tartare app that tasted like warmed ground beef. My entree was good but not amazing. Brandon, the bartender, was awesome and made us some cool drinks that aren't on the menu. He also works at Fatty Crab. That is one of our favorites but I have noticed the past 2 trips that the prices went up, with less small plate options. La Tapa is always great. We tried DaLivio for the first time and really liked it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Asolare

"I had a steak tartare app that tasted like warmed ground beef. " OUCH

Remind me of Caddyshack "This steak still has marks where the jockey was hitting it"

I think I'm sticking with cocktails