We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reef Bay Trail

philly
10 posts
Save Topic
Reef Bay Trail

Is it better to do the Reef Bay Trail with or without a guide?

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reef Bay Trail

Don't think you necessarily need a guide, but you should not go alone.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reef Bay Trail

...the main reason for taking the "guided" tour with the park service is to get the boat ride back so you don't have to hike back uphill.

Depending on the ranger and the group you can have a good time or a horrible time. If you are a serious hiker you can always take the bus to the trailhead.....hike down to petroglyphs and ruins and then take the trail over to lameshur and hit the beaches there before walking to saltpond and catching the bus back.

Hampton Roads, VA
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reef Bay Trail

We did it by ourselves last year and it was great. Had kids that got tired on the hike back up but they did okay. Take lots of water and leave early if ou plan to hike both ways!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
479 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reef Bay Trail

So if we were to hike up and down the trail ourselves (don't want to pay $21/person for the boat ride back) How long would it take total? (assuming we make a couple stops here and there) It's 6 miles total, right?

New Orleans
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Reef Bay Trail

What days & times do the offer the guided hike? Where do you meet and what is the cost? How long does it take?

Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reef Bay Trail

I did a little math on the trail and its 2.5 miles back up at a 7% incline.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
479 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reef Bay Trail

mtnrunner, i assume you are a runner. Was the trail difficult for you (going back up that is)?

I am NOT a runner, I do ballet, and walking occasionally (I try to run, but suck) Would this trail be difficult for someone who does't do much cardio on a normal basis? :-)

Lewisville, Texas
Level Contributor
51 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reef Bay Trail

My wife and kids and I did the trail down and back up several years ago. I think I was 50, my wife much younger :-), and my kids were 14 and 12. It took us about 1.5 hours to go down. We stopped at each sign that identified trees or vines, at the petroglyphs, and at the sugar mill (I think that is what it was). It took at least 2 hours to get back up. I stopped often on the upper trail. Its just like going up stairs the last half mile. My wife and kids were waiting on me at the top. Take at least 1 qt of water for each of you at a minimum. Try to get back before 2 pm (when it really warms up). There is not a lot of breeze on the trail. I'm like some of the others. I did not want to spend the money on the boat ride back. We passed a guided trip on the way down on our way back up. I'm glad we did it by ourselves. The tour had about 20 people in it.

Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reef Bay Trail

kac2, yes I am a runner but have been sidelined for quite some time due to injuries. We are leaving the 22nd for STJ and this is our first trip so I can tell you how the Reef Bay trail went when we get back. I was a little worried about going back up the trail because the hikes we do in CO currently really wipe me out. So to figure out if I could do the Reef trail I did the math and have been hitting the treadmill at the gym. I've been able to do 2.5 miles at a 7.5% incline so I think I'll be o.k. I'll let you know when we get back. BTW... the first day I tried it at the gym I was able to do it just a little sore (all I was doing prior to that was walking the dog everyday).

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Reef Bay Trail

Hey mtnrunner

Congrats on getting back on the treadmill :)

FYI the Reef Bay Trail is alot different than a treadmill at 7.5% incline as there are portions where you will have to step up quite large "steps" in the rocks - I'm sure you will be fine just wanted to let you know (and that last 15 mins back up ......... killer !!!!!)

Pia