We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin St. John or Westin Grand Cayman?

New Jersey
2 posts
Save Topic
Westin St. John or Westin Grand Cayman?

I'm deciding between these two properties for a vacation in March. I will be about 6 months pregnant when we go, so we are looking for a beautiful, relaxing property with a pool and a beach and good local restaurants. No need for a lot of nightlife! Which location would you recommend, and has anyone been to both of these properties who is able to compare them? Thanks a million!

Sea Shore Allure
Sea Shore Allure
#1 of 4 hotels in Cruz Bay
Garden by the Sea B&B
Garden by the Sea B&B
#1 of 5 B&Bs / Inns in Cruz Bay
Estate Lindholm
Estate Lindholm
#2 of 5 B&Bs / Inns in Cruz Bay
Sandy Hook...
Level Contributor
218 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin St. John or Westin Grand Cayman?

My husband and I stayed at the Westin Casuarina in Grand Cayman several years ago. It was a very nice place, with a decent-sized pool and a beautiful stretch of white-sand beach on Seven Mile Beach. Please message me if you would like more details.

We have not stayed at the Westin on St. John and I can't give a comparison but, to be honest, the poor reviews have kept me away from it. We were on St. John last month, rented a villa, and it was heaven. St. John is a beautiful island, much more so than Grand Cayman, in my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
BPT
Atlanta
Level Contributor
428 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin St. John or Westin Grand Cayman?

No question. St John. We've enjoyed several stays at the Westin GC but nothing compares to St John. Ignore all of the whinning reviews. The Westin St John is great! Perfect...no. But it's a great hotel with some wonderful features (pool & landscape come to mind). The beach at the Westin is man-made and not the best (but ok) but there are many incredible choice beaches on St John. The Westin makes a great base camp. Fabulous island! Hands down the right choice!!! Grand Cayman is beautiful...for about 3 days...then it gets old. St John will never tire in my mind!!!

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin St. John or Westin Grand Cayman?

BPT is 100% right on.

Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin St. John or Westin Grand Cayman?

ehunte01, in my mind, there's no question that the Westin Grand Cayman is the better option for you...(we've been to GCM about 20 times, and twice while I was pregnant) If you head to Cayman, you can be relaxing at the Westin pool within 30 minutes of getting off the plane, and later, walking on the beach at sunset...a very long, beautiful beach, which can be perfect exercise...wonderful for those long morning and evening walks when it is a bit cooler.

Also, the Grand Cayman Westin, as virtually all lodging facilities on Cayman, did major rework after hurricane Ivan, so the facilities are in great shape, in many cases better than pre-Ivan. The pool is fine for floating (that's on your list right? :) and the spa is excellent. Lots of safe, great food on island too, try Hemmingway's at the Hyatt.

Two other considerations: Cayman has an excellent water purification system and the medical facilities are better than at many of the other islands. One year my sister-in-law made use of those facilities when she was in her 2nd trimester.

If on the other hand you're into hiking, snorkeling, climbing hills, and riding in jeeps, and some folks are at this stage, then St. John might be the right choice...but as you move forward you might find a less strenuous situation a good approach and save St. John for a post-baby trip when you can rent a beautiful villa for your trip.

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman...
583 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Lincoln, MA
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin St. John or Westin Grand Cayman?

I'm a long time St John advocate but the reality is if you stay at the Westin or, really, anyplace else on St John except Caneel Bay wich is directly on 7 gorgeous beaches, you will end up driving around a lot on hilly, bumpy roads to get to the beautiful beaches. The Westin beach, as mentioned, is man made and mediocre by St. John beach standards. Therefore, given that you'll be 6 months pregnant, I'm not sure that jouncing around in a jeep a lot is in your best interest. I don't know Grand Cayman, but if you would like to stay put in a nice resort at this point, it may be the better choice for you.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Caneel Bay Resort
Caneel Bay Resort
773 Reviews
St. John
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Chicago
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin St. John or Westin Grand Cayman?

I also agree with BPT. I have a villa at the Westin. I love it!!

shoecc
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin St. John or Westin Grand Cayman?

Westin GC is nicer but St John is a more relaxed, beautiful and enjoyable island.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Chicago
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin St. John or Westin Grand Cayman?

I agree with SHOECC, St.John is a beautiful island. Every year we go we rent a car and travel the whole island and visit many beaches. I can see my wife and i buying a house and living there forever(i need to wake up!!)

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Chicago
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin St. John or Westin Grand Cayman?

First of all, this is Vicki of the "Vicki & Rob" commenting here. Rob commented the last two times and being a man, he may not have kept in mind the fact that you will be traveling while six months pregnant.

First of all, we have never been to GC. AND we absolutely LOVE St. John! It is gorgeous and there are so many beautiful, peaceful beaches to visit. The island itself is very peaceful and calm. It is the exact opposite from what you can imagine Spring Break in Cancun to be!! There are is no very wild, loud nightlife but you certainly can have a fun night in town! :-)

That said, I would caution you to keep a few things in mind. The first thing is that getting to and from St. John is not exactly a piece of cake. We certainly don't mind it and think that it adds to the anticipation of arriving to our villa at the Westin. But...it is an all day event.

First, you have to travel to St. Thomas since there is no airport on St. John. That part of the trip may involve connecting flights and layovers. Once you arrive on St. Thomas, you have to take a cab to the marina. The cabs on St. Thomas are called Gypsy Cabs. They're basically open-air benches on the back of pick-up trucks. There are no seatbelts and the trip is somewhat bumpy.

Once you arrive at the marina you have to wait for the Westin Ferry. Which can sometimes be a long wait as they depart on a set schedule about every 2-3 hours.

Then, depending on how rough the ocean is that day, the boat trip to St. John can get somewhat bumpy too.

Keep in mind that you'll probably be in constant seach of a bathroom during the "planes, trains and automobiles" mode of arrival to St. John. HOWEVER, it's worth the trip!!! I don't know how easy it is to get to the Westin GC, so maybe someone can give you some info on that.

That said, only you know how well your pregnancy is progressing, how you are feeling and how well you believe you will handle the trip.

Either way, you'll be in paradise! Have fun!!!!

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
697 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westin St. John or Westin Grand Cayman?

Ok, I have not been to either Westin (booked for a villa at the Westin in St. John in three weeks, however), but I have been to both GC and St. John. Go to St. John.

The other posts have summed it up as far as the beauty of the island. To me, it is the only one of the USVIs that I like, as the other two are too commercial. That is also GC -- way too commercial. I found it overpriced and too busy and congested.

Just my two cents.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Get answers to your questions about Cruz Bay