We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 4 Carnival activities

TX
Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
July 4 Carnival activities

What will happen and at what times? What's the best place to watch the parade? The fireworks?

What is being celebrated?

Harrisburg
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July 4 Carnival activities

As far as watching the parade, find an area in the shade (beside the park or the National Park)

We were told to get to town by 9am and that the parade started at 11am. By 1pm, the parade was just forming. (Island time!)

We watched the fireworks from the National Park dock area and had a good view.

Check out the island newspaper when you get on island.

It is the island's amancipation day.

TX
Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July 4 Carnival activities

Are all the services running on July 4? What are the local traditions/celebrations?

Hampton Roads, VA
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July 4 Carnival activities

The parade is very long and varied. There are bands and festivities each night at the Cruz Bay dock. Food, alcohol, street vendors...very peaceful and alot of fun.

I think the festivies actually start on the 26th or 28th and run through the 4th. There are celebrations on other beaches as well, I know Hull Bay has a celebration on the 4th usually that is nice. There is an even calender on vinow.com that will give you a breakdown. See you there!

Harrisburg
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July 4 Carnival activities

A local tradition we regreted missing was jouvet (I probably completely butchered the spelling.) Jouvet is the 4am start of the activities. Every local we met during carnival asked us if we made jouvet and could not believe we missed it.

The St. John Tradewinds newspaper (search on Google) made post a carnival schedule. Caribbean on line, st. john forum may also post advance schedules.

TX
Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July 4 Carnival activities

Are the events family friendly or more like Carnival?

I read the listing on vinow.com about J'ouvert (I think). I'll need to do some convincing for my husband to be willing to get somewhere at 4am on vacation. My kids thought it sounded great, just because it was at 4am. We don't even know what it is! Info?

Get answers to your questions about Cruz Bay