We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time ti St.John - Tell me what I need to know!

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
1st time ti St.John - Tell me what I need to know!

My husband and I are planning a 6 day/5 night trip in the 2nd week of June for our 10th anniversary. It's our first time to an island (We've been to Cancun for 4 days, but that's the only "tropical" vaca we've taken!) We are not really "sportsy" so no golf or tennis or real hiking. We plan on getting a 1BR villa at the Westin. We plan to take the Westin ferry from St. Thomas.

- Any ideas for something special for our anniversary (it is the 2nd day of our trip)?

- What are food prices like? Are drink prices comparable to any other resort area?(we are "umbrella drink" kinda people!)

- Can we walk to places from the Westin or should we budget for cabfare?

- We definately enjoy the "pub like" atmosphere...any suggestions for fun bars to go to?

- I saw a website for scooter rentals, are those a good options or should we just take a day and rent a jeep?

- Any other sugeestions for a couple of newbies would be very much appreciated!!!

Camano Island...
Level Contributor
123 posts
753 reviews
21. Re: 1st time ti St.John - Tell me what I need to know!

just about everyone hit the nail on the head.

1. rent the jeep. don't do taxi's. not to slam on the great workers of the island, but you'll understand once you're there.

2. woody's, the beach bar, and The Balcony. The Lime Inn is always a nice spot too. Ive got a few pics and reviews on my profile to check out.

3. make sure you've got a soft side cooler for beverages and munchees while sightseeing.

4. water socks on the beach.

5. thermocells to get rid of the bugs. trust me on this one. #1 suggestion I give people, they work.

check out all the cool websites the other posters put up, and enjoy the anticipation!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
39 reviews
22. Re: 1st time ti St.John - Tell me what I need to know!

I was reading your post and was curious what was "Connections" where you stated that we could send food down prior to our visit. I will be traveling 7/2/10 down to the Westin with my family of 7 and this caught my eye about shipping down some food prior to leaving. Thank you for the info.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
44 reviews
23. Re: 1st time ti St.John - Tell me what I need to know!

Here's their website: http://connectionsstjohn.com/

It's a business right near the ferry dock, that will accept and hold packages for you, for a small fee. Do some searches here or at VIOL, about sending packages down, and you'll get lots of opinions and ideas.

Indiana
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
24. Re: 1st time ti St.John - Tell me what I need to know!

Sit back and enjoy the island. Don't try to fit it all in. Soak in the beauty. You will go back.

Indiana
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
25. Re: 1st time ti St.John - Tell me what I need to know!

Make sure you sit on a bar stool at High Tide.

Vernon, New Jersey
Level Contributor
467 posts
348 reviews
26. Re: 1st time ti St.John - Tell me what I need to know!

Atlanta Rob, your posting cracked me up! I've been lurking on this forum for some time now, just soaking in the advice for our first trip to St. John in July. Although, I had to speak up when I read that posting...it was hysterical. I'm glad to hear you and the donkey made it through the day without any serious injuries.

5soxfnz, enjoy your trip! Looking forward to reading your trip report right before we visit the island. :)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
27 posts
111 reviews
27. Re: 1st time ti St.John - Tell me what I need to know!

What are "thermocells" that you suggested for bugs? Thanks in advance.

28. Re: 1st time ti St.John - Tell me what I need to know!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2010, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about Cruz Bay