We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place for running?

new york city
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
best place for running?

we are staying at cloud 9 villa near cruz bay for a wk dec 13 and need recommendation for distance running 5-10 miles. i know st john is not optimal being so hilly, but we can't interrupt our training. where would be the flattest, safest place? (i think our villa is near gift hill if that helps. thanks so much all!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best place for running?

Flat? not really likely. You will be very hard pressed to find a 5+ mile run that is not filled with hills. I know that some folks run between Francis and Maho but you would have to run it numerous times to get that far of a distance.

None of the roads on STJ have shoulders, so you will need to be super careful no matter where you run.

I will see if I can get some info from my on-island runner friends, but I think you may be disappointed with your options, sorry.

Virgin Islands
Level Contributor
403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best place for running?

Cloud Nine isn't exactly convenient to any flattish areas--except for Centerline with a lot of traffic and no shoulder, that is. Some possibilities:

Fish Bay--this isn't too far from Gift Hill, but there's only about a mile on the flat. Not a lot of traffic, but people can be going pretty fast now that the road is paved.

Maho to Leinster-- not too convenient, but a round trip here would give you close to 5 miles. The old road past Annaberg along the shore isn't paved, and is very narrow in spots now due to storm erosion, but it's still better than running uphill...

Bordeaux Mt. Road...not more than a mile, but not a lot of grade change, and generally 5 degrees cooler than sea-level.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,197 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best place for running?

STJ is not a good choice destination for runners. If you do like the island, however, you might consider staying at Caneel Bay next time. You could jog the main property and road to Honeymoon Beach several times to get the mileage if you're staying on the resort. The best you can probably do elsewhere on the island is to substitute hiking for running. Honestly, you couldn't pay me to walk/run on 90% of the roads on STJ. Too dangerous.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best place for running?

Running on STJ can be a little tough, especially if you are looking for flat. You may want to check out this blog by one of our runners. He has run some marathons in the states and does his training here...http://stjohnrunner.blogspot.com/ You can send him an email and I am sure he will help you with a good route, and best time of day to run. Be safe! Have fun!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best place for running?

The reply I got from my STJ runner friend was....treadmill at the gym for that long of a distance.

He did say that the Maho to Leinster is close to 5 but it is not in good shape in some spots.

He runs North Shore, but that is filled with crazy hills.

PA
Level Contributor
205 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best place for running?

Running on the roads in St John.....not me!! I wouldn't risk it. I always use the gym at the Westin. Great treadmills!!

United States
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: best place for running?

The longest flat ground I found was on our way to the East End. Not convenient from Gift Hill. I think the flat area was around Zootenval? I would expect that traffic is lighter than somewhere like Coral Bay which is also flat for some distance.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best place for running?

I forgot to mention, if you run on the roads, Leave the iPod at Home. You can run on some of the roads here, but you need to be able to hear what is going on around you.

Mayberry, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best place for running?

I would drive over to Leinster Bay and do my running both on the road and the trail. A figure 8 may be 4 miles or so of level terrain, with a little cross country thrown in.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best place for running?

I agree that the Maho or Francis to Leinster roads are probably the best choice. There is a good stretch going through Coral Bay and on towards Salt pond that's not too hilly. Of course, if you want challenge, you could get up very early and run the 8 Tuff Miles course:

http://www.8tuffmiles.com/

You'd nee to do it very early because later traffic would make it very unpleasant. You do need to stay very alert wherever you decide to run (or walk). The roads and the drivers are not pedestrian friendly. There are plenty of blind curves with no shoulders and drivers aren't expecting to see someone walking or running on the road.

Get answers to your questions about Cruz Bay