We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

conrad sutton -- not just rude

ewellis
Level Contributor
3 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
conrad sutton -- not just rude

But I also question their ethics. After nearly 3 week and $1000 plus paid to Conrad Sutton, we were shocked by how surly the staff was upon our return. We were even more troubled by their "nickle and dime" tactics. We filled the car up on the way to Cruz Bay and returned it with a pretty darn full tank. We were told, however, that it was only 9/10ths full and that we would be assessed for 2 gallons plus a $20 penalty!!!! When I politiely expressed by dissatisfaction, I was told that I was "just ridiculous." So be it.... I honestly don't know how we could have returned the car any fuller given the distance between the nearest gas sttion and the office. Whatever. They've lost my repeat business over $20 and bad attitude!

Parker, CO
Level Contributor
799 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: conrad sutton -- not just rude

Grrr...I just don't know what to do. Rent on St. Thomas or St. John??? One thing is VERY clear...there is major price-fixing going on in St. John. Funny how they all charge just about the same rate for the same product. Seems like they have a pretty much captive audience and can treat people anyway they want.

And just to CYA, I've been reading this board for years, and the complaints about most of the St. John car rental places seem pretty constant.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: conrad sutton -- not just rude

You can't lump every car rental company together!!! We have been going many years (April will be my 18th trip), have always rented on St John from 1/2 dozen or so companies. We've always gotten good service and exactly what we reserved with no problems re: gas or sand upon returning the vehicles.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,959 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: conrad sutton -- not just rude

Customer Service aside....Price fixing? I guess that puzzles me.

There are a limited number of vehicles on island. The need to make a profit based on the small fleet that they can have. If everyone is around the same price how is that price fixing?

When I rent on STJ, I get free parking in town and the peace of mind knowing that if something should happen, there will be someone there to fix it for me.

You do not get that when you rent on STT. I think that the price difference is more than fair.

Many people choose to rent on STT and many choose to rent on STJ, different strokes, but saying that there is price fixing is just not accurate in my book.

United States
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: conrad sutton -- not just rude

I agree that charges of price fixing is a bit too much. I think it is more of what the market will bear, high priced comodities and limited competition. I have always had good service and equipment whenever I have rented a StJ vehicle, but then I found a company that I like and stay with them. They also have competitive pricing in comparison with other rental dealers. If the jeep rental prices are fixed then you can say the same about the villa prices and the grocery stores as well. Comodities are not cheap on island so retail prices go up as well.

Iowa
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: conrad sutton -- not just rude

We have been renting from the Suttons for nine years...some 12 or 13 trips. I've been reading this board for about the same amount of time. It never ceases to amaze me how different people doing the very same thing (renting a vehicle) have such different experiences. There seems to be quite a contingency of folks that have a negative impression of the Suttons. I am not discounting those impressions...just...still wondering how we have had such a great relationship with them all the while. Sometimes it's just funny how the world goes round...

We wouldn't consider renting anywhere else!

Conrad...Gladys...Carmen...Susan...see you in 21 days!!! We can hardly wait!

Grand Isle, VT
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: conrad sutton -- not just rude

The Suttons are wonderful to us. They are on our Christmas card list. Looking forward to seeing them in a month and a half.

mansfield ma
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: conrad sutton -- not just rude

after a couple years renting from courtesy, we did conrad last year...pretty uneventful, the employees were like zombies, but whatever...then we got the runt of the litter jeep...that or nothin' (after 'reserving it almost a year earlier) so the wife and me rattled off in the little blue bucket of bolts and had a very nice week for ourselves...i think lots of people would have pissed and moaned but we took the high road, and there were a few high roads that i wondered if it was gonna make it...it did and all's well that ends well...but it will be back to courtesy this march.

oman.

mansfield ma
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: conrad sutton -- not just rude

after a couple years renting from courtesy, we did conrad last year...pretty uneventful, the employees were like zombies, but whatever...then we got the runt of the litter jeep...that or nothin' (after 'reserving it almost a year earlier) so the wife and me rattled off in the little blue bucket of bolts and had a very nice week for ourselves...i think lots of people would have pissed and moaned but we took the high road, and there were a few high roads that i wondered if it was gonna make it...it did and all's well that ends well...but it will be back to courtesy this march.

oman.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: conrad sutton -- not just rude

We experienced the same "its not full" issue at a different rental place last trip.

We filled the tank and drove directly to the rental place.

We were told it wasn't full when the guage clearly was all the way to F. The agent seemed very eager for us to just accept the $20 fee and move on.

Because we had plenty of time, my husband took the jeep back to the gas station to top it off and the attendent at first refused to put more gas in it, saying it was filled to the top.

When my husband explained the situation, the guy agreed to put a couple more seconds worth of gas in the tank.

Point being, Suttons is not the only rental place that jumps on the chance to ding you for the fuel charge.

This happened to us at STJ Car Rental. It really annoyed us because they gave us two jeeps with nearly empty tanks when we picked up. We have rented two and three vehicles at a time from them and it shocked me that they were trying to shake us down for $20 per jeep.

Level Contributor
356 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: conrad sutton -- not just rude

I was very impressed with our service from Courtesy on our last trip. Our flight was delayed 3 hours, but Greg at Courtesy waited past closing time to meet us at the ferry. (We were on the 7pm from Red Hook.) Nice as can be.

Regarding the pricing: imagine what it takes to get a new car to the island, and then any parts should it need to be repaired. Looking at it that way and considering some of the roads I've driven (the ride to Lameshur for example), I think the prices are very fair.

The Suttons seem to inspire emotions on both ends of the spectrum. It's great that they have happy and loyal customers and unfortunate that others have felt poorly treated. Since the customer experience there seems unpredictable, I decided to play it safe, avoid the drama and rent elsewhere.

Get answers to your questions about Cruz Bay