We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Umbrellas and chairs for rent at the beaches?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
27 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Umbrellas and chairs for rent at the beaches?

We plan to visit some of the highly recommended beaches in St. John (Cinnamon Bay, etc.) when we visit at the end of the month. Will we be able to rent a beach umbrella and chairs for the day at the beach itself? Do any of the beaches have snacks/lunch/drinks available? Do all the beaches have bathroom facilities? Any seasoned travelers' advice on how to make the day at the beach special would be much appreciated! We'll be at the villas at the Westin so will be visiting beaches that are fairly convenient -- would appreciate recommendations on which beaches to visit too.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,082 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Umbrellas and chairs for rent at the beaches?

Beaches with bathrooms - Trunk, Cinnamon and Hawksnest (composting)

Beaches with rental chairs - Trunk and Cinnamon (no umberellas available)

Beaches with food available Trunk and Cinnamon

Enjoy :)

Pia

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Umbrellas and chairs for rent at the beaches?

We will be in a Westin villa at month's end as well. (I'll be the one smoking a cigar on the beach most nights.) You can always stop at Starfish market and grab sandwiches or salads to put in your cooler for lunch. Beaches to see: Honeymoon, Trunk, Cinnamon, Francis. Though just driving the jeep from downtown all the way out to Lenister Bay will be a great exploration. When you have the jeep, do stop at the beach bar at Caneel Bay for a dinner that will cost less than most downtown resturants with a beautiful setting. Depending on the level of activity you want, the Rams Head Trail by Salt Pond offers beautiful views with moderate if any difficulty and a swim afterwards.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Umbrellas and chairs for rent at the beaches?

Forget about the umbrellas. On the North Shore, there's plenty of shade under the trees.

On our first trip to Cinnamon Bay, my wife and I tried to use our own beach umbrella, which we had lugged along from home. The wind would have none of it.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Umbrellas and chairs for rent at the beaches?

Miss Vie's beach has nicer lounge chairs that you can use for free (after you pay the $2.50 per person entry fee), and you wander across the street to her Snack Shack for lunch or early dinner.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Umbrellas and chairs for rent at the beaches?

Also, you can pull your lounges back into the trees for shade. Her Limeaid is delicious, as are her mango and coconut tarts!

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Umbrellas and chairs for rent at the beaches?

Where is Miss Vie's located?

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Umbrellas and chairs for rent at the beaches?

Miss Vie's is out past Coral Bay. You will need a car to get there, the bus and taxis do not go there.

Worth the car rental in my opinion

United States
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Umbrellas and chairs for rent at the beaches?

In addition to Pia's post re:beaches with toilets you will find beaches with Johnny on the Spots:Francis, Great & Little Lamshur and Salt Pond (I think). I agree with the forget the umbrella unless you are headed to Salt Pond. Of course I also believe that chairs are highly over rated on the soft sand of the North Shore beaches. You will also find food and (I think) chairs and other concession items at Maho (camps) beach.

9. Re: Umbrellas and chairs for rent at the beaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Cruz Bay