We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When do the crowds leave St. John?

Newfoundland, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
When do the crowds leave St. John?

I would llike to get out of the Northeast in the winter, but I don't really like crowds, waiting for a table, not being able to find a parking space, etc... We've been to St. John twice, once in October and once at the end of November. I was thinking about making a trip in early February. Does anyone have an idea how busy it is at that point? Should we wait until March? It would still be snow covered here (and is still prime winter rate there), but if it is significantly quieter it would be worth the wait.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,037 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When do the crowds leave St. John?

I would stay away from February. School vacations and Presidents week make for a very busy island.

I am guessing that the middle of January would be a good time. The holiday travelers are gone and the February folks haven't arrived yet.

Take a look at some villa availability calendars, it should give you a good idea.

I think that most times of the year, parking is a pain, so I never use that as a concern. There is just no decent parking unless you can park in your rental car lot.

We usually travel in April, just after the rates drop and the island is busy but not crowded.

Boston
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When do the crowds leave St. John?

Also keep in mind the March Spring Break weeks for the US colleges. I have no idea how many kids come to STJ during that week. Also Easter week may be busy since families might come down?

Newfoundland, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When do the crowds leave St. John?

Thanks so much! January unfortunately is not an option because it is my busiest time at work. I will definitely check the school schedules and try to stay away from those weeks.

Holland, MI
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When do the crowds leave St. John?

We've been there twice in February and found it to be very busy both times and we ran into chilly windy weather both times. We've been once in March and our weather was great but we found the water was still a bit chilly. We most often go in May and the it's much less crowded and the water is beginning to warm up by that time too. We've been a few times in early June and our weather wasn't much different than in May.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,547 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When do the crowds leave St. John?

Sorry, but have to chuckle when someone from Michigan finds the water here "chilly" at any time of the year! I'm a rare one, it seems, who doesn't find the bath water temp in the summer months anything to chortle about as I thoroughly enjoy a bit of a relative chill to the water. In the summer months I make it a point to swim out and find a deep "chilly" spot. Get all cooled off and then plonk down again under a hot sun until the next go-around. Chilly? As a child I swam in the North Sea and then for years afterwards swam off the Connecticut shores. Those are COLD year round and what I was used to way back then. Not any more but, as said, tepidness doesn't work for me. Cheers!

Holland, MI
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When do the crowds leave St. John?

You're right, STTResident! Believe me, I don't swim in Lake Michigan although I did when I was younger. Of course you don't stay in the water up here for long periods of time like you do when you are snorkeling.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,949 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: When do the crowds leave St. John?

May is when the crowds tend to die off - except for Memorial Day week :)

Pia

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: When do the crowds leave St. John?

I live in N.W. Indiana and grew up swimming in Lake Michigan as nobody in our neighborhood had a pool. We either rode bikes or got a ride. If the water was chilly, or even cold, we went in anyway. We didn't get to the beach much so in we went. We just called it "getting used to", and we did. The purple lips wore off after you swam around for a while.

We go down usually in early December & I too had to laugh about "chilly" water.

If the water in Lake Michigan got over 70 we considered that warm. Maybe I'm a little bit on the cold-blooded side. The water has always been warm to me.

9. Re: When do the crowds leave St. John?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 November 2010, 14:35
10. Re: When do the crowds leave St. John?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 November 2010, 14:35
Get answers to your questions about Cruz Bay