We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

at&t Go Phone

Raleigh
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
at&t Go Phone

We arrive in 10 days. Thanks to all of the St John Forum supporters who offered such valuable information. Can someone confirm if I buy an AT&T Go Phone here in NC, that it will work ok on St John? We have Verizon, which I have read results in major roaming charges. We hope to be 'off the grid' as much as possible while in St John, but still will need a phone to contact rental agency, car rental, etc., especially when we arrive on St Thomas. Thanks for any input.

Syracuse
Level Contributor
474 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: at&t Go Phone

I bought a go phone a few years ago for exactly the same reasons. It worked well in St John.

Cedar Point, North...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: at&t Go Phone

Yes, That is what we use also. Works great!

Pleasant Valley...
Level Contributor
51 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: at&t Go Phone

I bought a GO-Phone and used it this February.

I was staying near Cruz Bay and facing STT and it worked great....Al

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: at&t Go Phone

Many people that live here use the Go Phones. At&t has some weird 'dead zones', but if it's not working for you someplace, move 10 feet in another direction and try again. My store is 400 square feet and only 1/2 of it has coverage, go figure. But outside of that little dead zone in any direction coverage is good.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: at&t Go Phone

We use a Go Phone on STJ also and like Julie described, there are dead spots in town but not so much that it caused any problems

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
749 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: at&t Go Phone

Re: coverage. The only trip that I had a problem with my AT&T coverage was when I stayed at Cinnamon Bay. Some of the north shore is sort of sketchy. I found that driving in to Cruz Bay along the North Shore road, you'll get service at about Caneel. Going east, you'll pick up a signal at Maho. One very strange time I was talking to someone while at Aqua Bistro, and the resulting call showed up as roaming off of Bequia. For real? The roaming issue shouldn't be a problem with Go Phones, because it's pre-paid.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: at&t Go Phone

I've found that as long as you can see St. Thomas or the cell tower on Bordeaux Mountain the voice and data works well. Make sure you turn data roaming off if you have a smart phone.

Cheers, RickG

California
Level Contributor
6,229 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: at&t Go Phone

We just got back from SST & STJ and took our Verizon phones with us and had near perfect coverage. We have the typical nation wide coverage plan and ALL text messages and data (free unlimited) were the same as if we were home in California. The ONLY cost on Verizon is the $1.99 per minute phone call fee. Since 95% of our phone use is texting/data it worked out great and only had to make a couple of $1.99 calls. Because it's not a Verizon network you can't text photos, you have to e-mail them from your phone. Also, don't worry about roaming on one of the BVI cell sites and getting a surprise bill, most of Verizon's phone's aren't "Global" phones and won't work with them anyway.

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: at&t Go Phone

I have AT&T as a carrier and called AT&T and asked if there was a charge to call Home from St Thomas and St John and was told “NO there is NO additional charges to use your AT&T phone in the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico”. Why don’t you just switch to AT&T 

California
Level Contributor
6,229 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: at&t Go Phone

Maybe because there already tied to a Verizon contract. Changing companies just for one trip would be crazy.