We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typical budget/day

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Typical budget/day

So we normally vacation in Mexico (Playa del Carmen). What would you say an average amount you spend in Cruz Bay?

I know it varies from person to person, but just throw it out there....how much do you spend on a daily basis?

Parker, CO
Level Contributor
790 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Typical budget/day

Including accomodations and car?

Without accomodations and car, we realistically spend $200 a day on food & drink. Some days less, but some days more if we go to a high-end restraunt. But I'd say it averages out to $200. Add in $350 a week ($50 a day) if you take a major excursion, like a day to the BVI's.

Of course, if you don't drink, are willing to cook a little bit and try to dine at less-expensive places, you can do it for a lot less.

NH
Level Contributor
848 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Typical budget/day

It really depends as Susan said if eating most meals out- then I would say $100 person is a good general rule. On average the cost at the food markets is about 25% higher then here on the mainland. You will find that some items cost the same as here and other things are lot higher (snack foods and dairy is what comes to mind)

Cheaper meals and food can be found on the island but on as an average $100 a day person over a week is about right.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Typical budget/day

Thanks! In Mexico, we tend to eat breakfast out, maybe a snack in the afternoon and dinner. We do drink quite a bit on vacation. :) In Playa, we tend to spend around $150/day for the both of us--so that sounds pretty close.

Accomodations I was counting as separate. We usually like to stay at a place the is central so we can walk everywhere.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
961 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Typical budget/day

We spent an average of $100 per day for 4 people, 2 adults and and an 8 year old and 12 year old...over the course of an 8 day trip. But we don't really drink alcohol. Triggers cluster headaches for my husband. And I'm not much of a drinker. I had 3 BBC's the whole trip.

Edited: 29 June 2011, 16:08
54b
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
513 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Typical budget/day

Anal retentive traveler to the rescue!!! Shouldn't admit this, but I kept a log of all our receipts from a recent trip, by day...here's a quick average:

ONE DAY (7d/7n trip)

Villa (decent, A/C, pool, Chocolate Hole, 2 people, low season) - $250

Car (4-door, 4WD, hard top, rented in Cruz Bay) - $65

Gas (only filled up once, but we drove a lot) - $12

Breakfast (either granola bars, coffee and fruit at villa or at a place like Deli Groto) - $10 to $15...if you eat breakfast every day, go closer to $20

Lunch (ate out every day, sometimes picked up sandwiches and beers/drinks to go or ate at a place like Skinny's or Vie's or Uncle Joe's) - $40

Dinner (ate out every night, for two, with drinks, but did get pizza one night Wharfside and did eat at Beach Bar) - $80*

If you ate out at an actual sit down restaurant every night, had a couple of entrees and couple of drinks and tipping, I'd say that average would much closer to $100...even for really casual restaurants like High Tide or Banana Deck.

TOTAL - $462

Add the flights (DFW-STT)...about $600/day

Obviously, it can be done much cheaper...in fact, I met some great people on island who flew spirit and stayed at Cinnamon Bay and basically did the week for under $1000. Pretty cool...but not cool enough for me cuz I needs me some A/C and a bed to get some shut eye.

I'll also add about dinner...we went to places like High Tide, Banana Deck

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Typical budget/day

Awesome response!!! Love it, 54b! Thanks for the details!!

We are definitely more into casual places/bars for food. I don't like getting dressed up on vacation. :)

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Typical budget/day

Playa del Carmen is a LOT cheaper than the Virgin Islands, in terms of accommodations, food, transportation, etc. So it's like comparing apples and oranges. I like both places -- for different reasons -- but could take at least a couple of trips to Playa for the cost of a trip to St. John (unless I did the camping on St. John).

Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Typical budget/day

Awesome reply! i do the same thing when i travel. great information. we are leaving Jul 19 and spending a week (also flying from dfw). this gives a great idea of what we will be spending.

FL
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Typical budget/day

We kept some fresh fruit, baby carrots and cucumber slices in our fridge, since we mostly ate happy hour food for the evening meal. We spent about $30 for two of us at a happy hour. (our personal favorite was Spy Glass for Wings, a Ceasar Salad to share and an order of fries. Couldn't finish it all. Not health food, but very good.) Ate most breakfasts in the condo and spent around $15 each on lunch. Since we arent especially big eaters, we often split at lunch.

Have a great time! We were eating our last meal at Spy Glass happy hour one week ago today. :(

10. Re: Typical budget/day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 22:18