We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo trip...where to stay

Cumberland, MD
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Solo trip...where to stay

I am going to St John alone to get my scuba certification. Any recommendations as to a good place to stay for a single?

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo trip...where to stay

If you're getting certified, chances are you'll be launching by boat from Cruz Bay. Check out Gallows Point as it is about a 3 minute walk down the beach from Cruz Bay. It is a suite type of set-up, so it might be more than you want as your room will have a full kitchen, but it is absolutely THE place to stay around Cruz Bay. You will not need a car AT ALL.

Now, about the fact that you are "single", I think you should know that St. John is totally Low Key...not a lot of nightlife anywhere. If there is any life after dark, you'd find it in Cruz Bay within walking distance from Gallows Point.

Hope you have an awesome time. St. John is absolutely my FAVORITE island in all the Caribbean. Swear I'll live there someday!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo trip...where to stay

Rent Kokomo Cottage! It is soooo comfortable, with an incredible view from each room. The price is very reasonable, and you can either cook in or eat in Cruz Bay. You can contact Judy, the owner, directly and get a better rate than thru the agencies.

Cumberland, MD
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo trip...where to stay

Thanks for you feedback. I will check out both places recommended!

Phila., PA
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo trip...where to stay

I go along to SJ a lot. I really liked Estate Lindbaugh (sp?) and it is walking distance into Cruz Bay. Wonderful view from the hilltop and nice pool. It's also on the property of Asolare for any excellent dinner, but each room has hotplate, little fridge, microwave, so you can eat in.

In April I'm staying at an efficiency, and I think it's one of Star Villas, but I'm not sure.

Mentioned in this post
Asolare
Asolare
824 Reviews
St. John
Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo trip...where to stay

You might want to check out St John Inn. We had friends stay there in January and it was very clean and convenient to town, and reasonably priced too. Also look at Inn at Tamarind Court

(tamarindcourt.com)

Mentioned in this post
St. John Inn
St. John Inn
508 Reviews
St. John
Get answers to your questions about Cruz Bay