We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rent snorkel gear or bring our own?

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
28 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
rent snorkel gear or bring our own?

We're trying to decide whether it's better to rent snorkel gear or bring our own. We'll be there for two weeks in February, and will do a lot of snorkeling.

Coral Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
306 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rent snorkel gear or bring our own?

We always bring ours. We're familiar with it, and know where it's been!

If you only planned to do limited snorkeling I could see renting to save packing space, but if you snorkel every day, like we do, it's cost effective to bring your own.

Some people like to rent the fins because they say they are what keeps them from being able to carry on only, but we have done carry on only the past three trips and have brought our full size scuba fins with us - but YMMV (your mileage may vary!).

Parker, CO
Level Contributor
790 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rent snorkel gear or bring our own?

Bring your own. If you are going to snorkel a lot, you will be happy to have quality snorkel gear that is in good shape and fitted for you.

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rent snorkel gear or bring our own?

Definitely bring your own gear - especially mask and snorkel.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rent snorkel gear or bring our own?

We dumped our long fins a few years ago and now have fins that are about 1/2 the size. This allows us to carry them on the plane.

I don't think I would ever rent a snorkle or a mask. I'm just too use to mine.

United States
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: rent snorkel gear or bring our own?

Without a doubt I would bring my own.

Hollis, NH
Level Contributor
340 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rent snorkel gear or bring our own?

Definitely bring your own, but it's important to point out.....don't buy this stuff at sports authority....go to your nearest dive shop and have them fit you properly. It's worth it to buy good quality gear, it will last for years. Nothing worse than working your way around waterlemon and your mask is leaking or you're getting a blister on your foot.

Edited: 18 August 2011, 02:49
Camp Hill
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: rent snorkel gear or bring our own?

We always bring our own mask & snorkel and rent fins from Crabby's. Fins are so bulky & we've been good about not checking bags. I think it's something like 25-30 a week from Crabby's, so if you are there for 2 weeks and there are 2 or more of you, you may just want to check a bag with all of your snorkel gear. It might be more economical. Either way, bring your mask & snorkel!

Level Contributor
12 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rent snorkel gear or bring our own?

Since you don't have to pack many clothes for St John, you'll have room for a mask and snorkel at least. We got ours fitted at a dive shop and it was well worth it. My prescription mask was perfect! Especially if you are there for two weeks, you will use the equipment a lot. Bring your own!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
330 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rent snorkel gear or bring our own?

Have to agree, bring your own mask and snorkle, rent the fins! My wife always had a difficult time with water leaking into the mask, we were in the Cayman Islands and had that problem, went over to the local dive shop and purchased a mask that fit and a snorkle, no problems since!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
21 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rent snorkel gear or bring our own?

We rented for years, not wanting to lug the stuff. Then we bought our own equipment, and we can't believe the difference! As others said, a good fitting mask, and in my case, a snorkel that doesn't let water in the top (great valve!), and fins that don't give me blisters -- worth packing!! And it's one of our carry-ons, so no big deal.