We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do if you are not a swimmer

Lincoln, NE
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What to do if you are not a swimmer

My husband and I are going with 2 other couples to St. John in February. I am afraid I am not much of a swimmer and the other people in our group are. They are planning some snorkeling and snuba. I like to hang out on the beach, but may want to go do a few things on my own. Any suggestions for safe places to go? I pretty much like everything, but swimming! Thank-you

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do if you are not a swimmer

What do you like to do? Shop? Hike? Site see? It would be very easy for you to drop your crew off at any beach, then go on your own to do another activity. The island is small. You will have a lot of flexibility to do what you want while your crew snorkles.

Holliston, MA
Level Contributor
164 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do if you are not a swimmer

Maho Campground has activities/classes during the week, and you don't have to be a camper there to attend. Check out their website and the "Trash to Treasures Art Center".

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,107 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do if you are not a swimmer

Don't eliminate the swimming out of hand! I's not at all uncommon for people who thought they couldn't swim well to have a complete surprise when testing the waters here. The salt content is high which makes for a buoyancy you may not have experienced before. Have fun!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do if you are not a swimmer

I am not a big swimmer but I love to just float in the water and even snorkel with a noodle. It really helps me feel safer!

Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do if you are not a swimmer

I also wouldn't write off swimming. My wife isn't a big swimmer either. But we started having her wear a life jacket while she was in the water and that made all the difference in the world. Now she loves to snorkel and float in the water. At a number of the beaches, there is good snorkeling just yards off shore. The life jacket gives my wife all the confidence she needs to be in the water, and it's a quick paddle back to the shore if she feels like she needs to get out.

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do if you are not a swimmer

Could you take some swimming lessons before your trip? Two or three lessons could make a world of difference, unless of course, you truly do not like the water.

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do if you are not a swimmer

I concur with Gleece 100%. Just one word of warning, do not be tempted to take a one hour course and descend on compressed gasses. It only takes three or four feet of water to kill yourself! Should you ever decide to SCUBA take a good course sponserd by NAUI or PADI. The "Y" gives a good course. There is a lot of great stuff to see with nothing more than a swinsuit, mask, snorkel, and fins.

Steve

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do if you are not a swimmer

Be a floater! Nothing more peaceful then floating in shallow crystal clear 80 degree water. There is even stuff to see in waist deep water if you so desire.

B.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do if you are not a swimmer

She said she wants to do something other than swim. Most replies are encouraging to swim? Just because most of you enjoy the water, doesn't change what the poster is interested in.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do if you are not a swimmer

Thank you for moderating the thread STJ4ME.

What would we do without you?

B.

Edited: 27 January 2012, 20:31
Get answers to your questions about Cruz Bay
Recent Conversations