We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinghy Rental from Cruz Bay

Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dinghy Rental from Cruz Bay

We are staying near Red Hook in St Thomas. I'm thinking we'd like to take the ferry to St John and rent a dinghy for a full day in Cruz Bay on 2/11 or 2/12. I'm hoping to snorkel and explore a few beaches, have lunch somewhere near a beach, etc. Is this a good idea? Can anyone recommend "must see" places that we can access without much difficulty? We are not interested in renting a car. Any recommendations on places to stop, logistics, remote snorkeling areas, warnings, etc would be greatly appreciated! We plan to do a day sail snorkeling trip from St Thomas to Trunk Bay another day.I've been to St John a number of times, stayed in a couple of hilltop villas, but my partner hasn't been there. realistically, how far around the island from Cruz bay can we get in a 12ft 15hp dinghy? In which direction should we go?

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinghy Rental from Cruz Bay

If I am not mistaken you can only go North as far as Waterlemon. They do not allow you to go any further than that.

Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinghy Rental from Cruz Bay

why do I not see watermelon on either st john map ???? what is this near please?

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinghy Rental from Cruz Bay

It is a Cay and not a bay, past Francis, going South. I have no idea what the bay is called

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinghy Rental from Cruz Bay

It's Leinster Bay. On the map, you might also see Mary's (or Mary) Creek, which is the narrow "foot" of the bay.

Edit: Actually, Google Maps does show "Waterlemon Bay." It's a little over a mile due east of Francis Bay beach (but you have to cross a narrow neck of land to get there, or, in the case of a dinghy, go all the way around Mary Point).

Edited: 27 January 2012, 17:00
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinghy Rental from Cruz Bay

Thanks, I see it...

Any recommendations? is this worth doing?

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinghy Rental from Cruz Bay

Waterlemon is a long way by Dingy IMO as they are not the smoothest rides and you have to go around the point to get there which puts you in some of the rougher/choppier waters of the channel.

It is easily accessed by shore also so I would say no probably not.

There are some regular posters like localsailor who could give more expert advice.

B.

Edited: 27 January 2012, 17:27
CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinghy Rental from Cruz Bay

I think a dinghy rental is a great way to see the north shore but only if you are in good shape. There are many areas that you will be at a mooring and it is not easy to get back into the dinghy from the water. I am in pretty good shape but do not have good upper body strength and it is near impossible for me.

Long Valley, New...
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinghy Rental from Cruz Bay

My wife and I rented a dinghy from Noah's Little Arks (Kim and Joe are the owners) last month. We rented a 14' dinghy with a 25hp motor for the day (9-5, but they also do 1/2 day rentals, as well as smaller dinghy's with 15hp motors). The dinghy's are a little tired and worn, but still got us to where we wanted to go (they did say they were getting some new one's, not sure how soon though). They provide maps, and an instruction video so you know what to do, where to go, and where not to go. We first took the dinghy all the way up to Leinster Bay and moored at Waterlemon Cay. Great snorkeling, but as mentioned already, difficult to get back in the dinghy from the mooring. Then leisurely made our way back, mooring in Francis Bay (also another great snorkel spot), and finally beached the dinghy on Salomon Beach. We really had a great day and would recommend it. www.noahslittlearks.com

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
212 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinghy Rental from Cruz Bay

I would say it is worth it and is a great way to explore St. John. We, too, have rented from Noah's for a full day and went all the way to Leinster Bay. We pulled up on shore (which is allowed there) and snorkeled the bay. We then moored just outside of Francis Bay and snorkeled in that area. You can also bring a dinghy to shore at Trunk and stop there for lunch. We finished our day moored at Solomon Bay.

Ask at Noah's about getting in and out of the dinghy easier - there is a trick which uses a part of the boat by the motor - a little less embarrassing for those of us without much upper body strength!

Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dinghy Rental from Cruz Bay

Thank you so much! That is exactly the information I was hoping for. I don't want it to be stressful or complicated. I like the idea of coming to shore for lunch on the beach somewhere. As we will be day sailing and snorkeling to Trunk another day, I was hoping to find lunch at a beach elsewhere. Any other suggestions for same would be appreciated :)

Get answers to your questions about Cruz Bay