We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starfish Market

Huntingdon, Pa
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Starfish Market

We are staying in the Westin Villas.

Can you walk to this Starfish market to get groceries or must I need a taxis or car.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Starfish Market

You could walk there but it is extremely steep and I don't remember a sidewalk.

No need to go to Starfish as the STJ Market is right before the entrance to the Westin. They have a very nice selection.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Starfish Market

Yes, you can walk, but I wouldn't. There are two smaller markets between The Westin and Starfish. The closet one is on the left just before you get the Westin property when coming from town. You could easily walk. (I think it's called St John Market?) It is only about 2 years old and has positive reviews in regards to selection & their deli/prepared food counters. The other one is Pine Peace Market. It is also on the left and is 1/2 way between Starfish & The Westin.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Starfish Market

Keep in mind that getting groceries will be the least of your worries in terms of transportation. Without a jeep you will be missing out on A LOT of what St John has to offer.

B.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Starfish Market

STJ Market is almost across the street from the Westin. It is new, clean, well stocked, and cheaper than Starfish

Huntingdon, Pa
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Starfish Market

Thanks for the Info everyone.

We will be renting a jeep for sure. The dilema is do we need it for the whole week or on a day by day occasion? We will be there in Sept. so I know its low season. I am not worried about reserving it yet.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Starfish Market

Penndot - check with The Westin regarding a shuttle service of sorts. I have read about it. (Have never stayed at The Westin). They don't have their own shuttle, but you take a taxi to a few North Shore beaches, pay, get a receipt of some kind and give it to the desk at The Westin when you return. I think they give you a credit towards your bill.... Like I said, only read about it, not sure how it works, or if it's still offered. But it would save you from renting a jeep everyday if you don't have to. There is also a rental company right at The Westin (I think it's Avis). Anyway, you will definitely want a jeep for a couple of days to check out the rest of the island.

Have a great trip! 20 days and counting for us!!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Starfish Market

Having experienced St John for the first time in December, my advice would be to ditch the Westin, rent a villa and a rental car (probably at a lesser price) and experience all the island has to offer. Driving is an experience in itself and the freedom to go where you want - when you want is well worth whatever it cost. St John is not a resort island, it is an adventure you can only enjoy by being free of any hotels and resorts! We were there for 8 days in December and didn't even get close to exploring everything we wanted. I can tell you, being able to drive and choose your beach is the best thing that will ever happen to you. Salt Pond, Mahoe, Francis Bay, Watermelon Cay, etc... and the list goes on will never be experienced if you stay at a resort.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Starfish Market

JSN: The Westin is a great resort for many people experiencing STJ for the first time. It is hard for many people to jump headfirst into a villa vacation anf the Westin Villas (as the OP indicated was where they were staying) is the perfect spot for folks to get their feet wet on island.

There are folks on the forum that have timeshares at the Westin or use hotel points for free stays and enjoy the island just as those who stay in private villas. No right or wrong, just different strokes :)

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Starfish Market

At the Westin, you will get great service and can experience the island just as much or more than someone staying at a house on St John. I an at the Westin right now and getting ready to enjoy a trip to Jost. See ya!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
591 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Starfish Market

We stay at the Westin every year. Often we rent a car for 3-5 days in the middle from O'connors which is on property. We walk over to St. John market for food at the start and can supplement later when we have a car as needed!

Get answers to your questions about Cruz Bay