We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best snorkeling when winds are blowing 15-20mph

New Jersey
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
best snorkeling when winds are blowing 15-20mph

Can anybody suggest the best snorkeling sites on St. John when winds are blowing 15-25 mph out of the E and NE? I will be there next week and the long term forecast is calling for breezy conditions all week.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,861 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best snorkeling when winds are blowing 15-20mph

Do not look at the forecast. We arrive on 4/21 and I have not looked at it and have no intention of looking at it.

The weather patterns in the Caribbean are ever changing. I wake up and decide what beach to go to based on what is happening at that time.

If the North Shore conditions aren't great, head over to Salt Pond or Lameshure.

If it is raining in Coral Bay there is a good liklihood that it is not in Cruz Bay.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best snorkeling when winds are blowing 15-20mph

Good advice!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,538 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best snorkeling when winds are blowing 15-20mph

I would disagree with Tink on this one in regards to the wind. Certainly don't look at the forecast in regards to rain but www.windguru.com is very accurate in predicting the wind. Being a diver and not liking big waves on the dive boat I use it all the time and it has always been very accurate. Most dive shops use it also.

Looking at it for the upcoming week Sunday/Monday looks pretty breezy but later in the week everything looks great and you should have wonderful snorkeling just about anywhere. Plan a trip to Salt Pond on Sunday.

B.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best snorkeling when winds are blowing 15-20mph

I am on island (for a few more hours) and I must say the water clarity is lower at some of the North Shore beaches this year. The best snorkeling this week and last has been at Vie's with lots of fish, turtles and rays. Water is very calm and clear. Worst Visability was at Maho/Francis, but saw turtles, rays and a lot of fish dispute only about 12 feet of Visability. Hawksnest, Hauloverand Caneel had good conditions. Trunk had the yellow flag with moderate surf and lower Visability. A lot depends on the swell too so monitor that. The swell is expected to be low for at least a couple of days.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best snorkeling when winds are blowing 15-20mph

I'll be on island April 16th through 22nd so I am in that mode of worrying whether the thousands of dollars I have invested in the trip will be worth it.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,861 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best snorkeling when winds are blowing 15-20mph

I can not imagine a trip to STJ not being worth it. We have traveled when the conditions were great and when they were not so great. 8 days of sun and 3 days of rain and everything in between.

No matter what the trips were great and worth it. Would I have preferred that every trip be sunny with perfect conditions? Of course, who wouldn't? But as with anything in life, you have to take the good with the bad and remember that your attitude will be what makes the trip worth it or not. And always remember that worrying about things that are our of your control is a waste of energy. :)

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,538 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best snorkeling when winds are blowing 15-20mph

Accordingt to Low Key Watersports there is a Manta at Francis in about 3 feet of water.

B.

Parker, CO
Level Contributor
794 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best snorkeling when winds are blowing 15-20mph

I was there in February and it was quite gusty. The water LOOKED like it was rough and wouldn't be good to snorkel in. But I got in anyway and it was awesome! So I say...go ahead and snorkel even if it's windy on the beach.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best snorkeling when winds are blowing 15-20mph

Jersey Shore, if you want to make sure your money is well spent then just make a bunch of other plans to enjoy other things besides snorkling- all of which you can't do back home on the East coast:

1) listen to the tree frogs at night

2) catch Inner Visions playing Thurs evenings in Cruz Bay if they are still in town

3) take a ferry to one of the BVI- Soggy Dollar, hike to Diamond Cay (Jost), the Baths on Virgin Gorda

4) hike out on Rams Head and enjoy the views

5) eat at any number of places where you can catch a view of the sun setting

6) go to Cinnamon Bay and see if you can participate in an archeology dig

7) find more hikes through the National Park Service

8) drink more Pain killers

Each of these activities is worth millions IMHO. I can't imagine a place in the world where you can guarantee the weather conditions as they might affect your daily plans. If you find such a place, let me know and I'll go there- maybe, after my 20th trip or so to STJ :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best snorkeling when winds are blowing 15-20mph

true...a vacation is a state of mind!

Get answers to your questions about Cruz Bay