We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel location

Williamstown NJ
Level Contributor
374 posts
230 reviews
Save Topic
Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel location

We are planning a 4 night stay in St John in May 2013.

We liked the review of Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel.

We are asking anyone who actually stayed there. How noisey is locaton at night? What other type of business, stores or other stuff is within a block or two. Is it a safe area? Any other issues good or bad on this hotel?

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel location

I haven't stayed there, but I'll tell you what I know. It's right in the middle of Cruz Bay, which means that everything in town is nearby. It's right across the street from my favorite St. John restaurant, the Lime Inn, which is next door to a couple of nice little shops. Many, if not most, of the popular restaurants and bars, a great many shops, and one of the two largest food markets (Dolphin) are not more than two blocks away. Mongoose Junction, which is probably the largest shopping/dining complex, is a bit farther away than that, but not more than about a 7-minute walk. The town is tiny.

It's also safe. That's really true of the whole island. Of course you can find trouble anywhere if you try hard enough, but there's no reason to be fearful of marauding gangs or anything like that. Although I don't know what would be considered the least safe area of Cruz Bay, I'm pretty sure this isn't it.

Edited: 07 December 2012, 15:11
Williamstown NJ
Level Contributor
374 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel location

Thanks. We are debating staying at a B&B near Coral Bay or the Boutique hotel. It will be our first time on St John. We will be staying in Virgin Gorda first at Mango By Resort, then to St John. We are trying to keep our budget to $150 per night, which does limit our choices.

Its between Sailview B&B or Boutique hotel currenty unless someone can recommend a better choice.

We like the idea of Cruz Bay because it will be central or a easy starting place for exporing St John

Coral bay area will be much quieter/scenic, but we have to drive everywhere.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel location

As it happens, I have visited Sailview, and would have stayed there for a few days if it had been available for my dates. It's a very cool little place, and as I'm sure you've discovered, it has many fans.

You seem to have a pretty clear idea of the basic pros and cons. I'll just mention that for touring and beaches, you'll pretty much be driving almost everywhere no matter where you stay. (I'm assuming you do plan to rent a jeep.) If you intend to eat out all or most of the time, Cruz Bay has a clear edge. But Sailview has a kitchenette, as I recall, which I doubt is true of the hotel.

Anyway, have a great time--I'm sure you will.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel location

Both accommodations are top notch and the couples who own each of them exceptional people who are a great asset to enjoying your stay at either.

It really comes down to your plan for exploring STJ - there is plenty to do in Cruz Bay within walking distance - great food and drink venues - interesting shops and evening entertainment. Beaches are a hike or a taxi ride from town. If you have a rental car/jeep make sure you get one with town parking.

Staying at Sailview requires a rental vehicle but will be a much more private vacation - you will see a lot more of the island overall, and spend more time at home with the availability of a small kitchen for breakfast or dinner and just enjoying the view and each other.

The relaxed tenor of Coral bay is the antithesis of the Cruz bay activity.

You will spend more time driving if you choose the Coral Bay option and then try to combine it with spending much time in Cruz Bay for dining and shopping.

You can stay in town, rent a car for the day and explore, take a taxi to the N.shore beaches, hike to Salomon Beach or Frank bay, take a sail, take the Reef Bay NPS trip and find numerous other activities so it isn't just a Cruz Bay experience.

Either choice will surely whet your desire to return and spend more time on STJ.

Williamstown NJ
Level Contributor
374 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel location

Thanks for the useful information.

We plan to do lots of swimming, snorkeling and hiking

If we stay at Sailview we would need to rent a vehicle all 4 days.

If we stay at Boutique, we plan to rent a vehicle for 2 days to explore. We might try to take public transporation to Coral Bay one day.

Our idea of a good Caribbean vacation is not cooking meals(LOL). We rather spend the time sampling different food venues on St John

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel location

If you do stay in Cruz Bay, I'd recommend using the vehicle to get to Coral Bay and other parts of the island. Transportation to Coral Bay and Salt Pond isn't very dependable. On days when you don't have the vehicle, get to the beaches along the north shore road where transportation is plentiful.

Cruz Bay is quite safe, just don't get lulled into believing that you actually are in paradise. Normal safety precautions should be maintained. Even paradise has some snakes.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel location

We are staying at CBBH this very minute and could not be happier. The location is perfect ... Really ideal and absolutely safe. The air conditioner in the room blocks out any street noise at night. We have been sleeping like babies. I highly recommend this lovely Inn.

Williamstown NJ
Level Contributor
374 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel location

Thanks "beachfan"for the reply. Hope you are enjoying your vacation

Whats close nearby to CBBH? Within a block or two?

Any recomendation or which room you would prefer?

Is the location convienent for Cruz Bay for resturants, bars and sightseeing?

Is a rental car needed the whole time or have you used the taxi and public transportation?

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel location

If this link works, it should put your mind at ease, about what's within two blocks walking distance:

virgin-islands-on-line.com/sj/cruz-bay-map-d…

That site is also a good source of information on St. John and the USVI.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
605 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel location

We spent 4 nights at CBBH last month in Room #5. The description of the room mentioned it being over a lively night spot...but we never had a problem with noise at all. Our experience was perfect - from the time I made our reservation through check out I could not have had a better experience. We stayed without a car (had been on STT the previous week with a Jeep) and didn't find that to be an issue for us. We hiked to Honeymoon and Solomon, walked all over Cruz Bay...absolutely everything you could want to do in town is within walking distance. Literally, you walk off the ferry dock, straight ahead two blocks, turn right at the church and walk half a block to get to the hotel. You can easily walk to many of the popular night spots and restaurants in town. Taxis to the north shore beaches are easy to come buy. You can walk to the dock if you decide to take a day trip as well.

While we haven't stayed at your other choice, we stayed 3 nights in Coral Bay last year at Concordia. Given the choice...I prefer staying in Cruz Bay. While I enjoy Coral Bay, after a day or two all the extra driving gets to me. It just feels so far away from night life and entertainment. But, that's just me.

Edited: 10 December 2012, 01:08
Get answers to your questions about Cruz Bay