We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. John or Maui

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
St. John or Maui

I have been to Maui several times, and visited St. John twice by cruise ship for a day trip. Which should I stay at for upcoming trip? If St. John, please recommend a nice place to stay. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,656 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. John or Maui

Where do you stay on Maui? If you are wanting a resort, your choices are few. Caneel Bay on 7 beautiful beaches or The Westin which is more spread out and on a man-made beach. There is also Gallows Point which is on beautiful grounds with great water views, but no real beach. Just a small broken coral/rock beach. Easy walking to restaurants & bars. Most people rent private villas & a Jeep to get to the many wonderful beaches of St John. Taxi's charge per person and don't go everywhere. STJ is more of a DIY kind of vacation unless you like to park your butt on one of the beaches at Caneel and not do any exploring. There is plenty to do on STJ. Beaches, snorkeling, hiking, day trips to the BVI, lots of restaurants, some shopping. It's also easier to get to than Maui.

What's your budget? How many people traveling? When?

Mentioned in this post
Caneel Bay Resort
Caneel Bay Resort
773 Reviews
St. John
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
873 Reviews
St. John
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: St. John or Maui

Ummmm Maui . Or St. John .

I'd go to Maui if I were you. Maybe St. John is better though. I'm thinking you should go to Maui or St. John

Does that help?

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
New Tripoli...
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: St. John or Maui

I have been to both. Items that I would take ito consideraton:

- Which coast do you live on and how much time do you have? It takes a long time to get to Maui from the east coast.

- What do you like to do n the water? If you like to float and enjoy an aquaspa treatment, go to St. John. The water is very comfortable most months

-You have already been to Maui, why not try St. John. It offers hiking, snorkeling, a variety of eating establishments.

-You can have some nice life in Cruz Bay and/or be one with nature in Coral Bay.

-If you are looking for a vacation to totally unwind rent a Villa in Coral Bay with a beautiful view of the BVIs.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel
Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel
489 Reviews
St. John
Coral Bay
Coral Bay
180 Reviews
St. John
NH
Level Contributor
850 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: St. John or Maui

I have been to both and I like the vibe of STJ better it's smaller and more laid back. The snorkeling (from shore) is much better and it has some good hiking. Since it appears you are an East coaster the travel will be much easier to STJ then Maui. Maui has more adventure type things -helicopter rides, biking down a volcano and the road to Hana is a whole other adventure. On Maui we stayed in a high end resort and it was beautiful, but I prefer to rent a villa it allows so much more privacy.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,766 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. John or Maui

I recall that there have been a number of threads about St John vs. Hawaii/Maui and if you do a search you should find a lot of additional information about this topic.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. John or Maui

I have been to both and much prefer St John. Maui has some absolutely stunning scenery and some great places like Haleakala but it is too touristy for me. I like the vibe in the Caribbean much better.

B.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,733 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. John or Maui

Travel time is becoming an increasingly important consideration for me. We're also East coasters and the flight to Hawaii is grueling. Give STJ a try and if STJ isn't a perfect fit, there are other Caribbean islands that might suit you better.

If you do decide to return to Hawaii, try Kauai. If you love Maui deeply, you could split a trip between Maui and Kauai. We've been to Maui, the Big Island and Kauai. Kauai is definitely our favorite. If cost and travel time were the same, we'd alternate our tropical vacations between Kauai and one of the Caribbean islands. As it is, the Caribbean is like a quick trip, while Hawaii is a major excursion. For years we only went to STJ if we were going to the Caribbean, but our current favorite is Virgin Gorda.

On STJ there is a variety accomodations--condos, villas (both extravagant and very basic), hotels (not on the scale of Maui), B&Bs. What fits your style best?STJ is much smaller than Maui, so where you stay is less key than it is on Maui.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
470 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. John or Maui

I've been to both places as well. Maui twice...Saint John...18 times. Well..there is your answer!!

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,203 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. John or Maui

What do you like to do on an island vacation? I love both StJ and Maui but they are different. What time of year? We can be more specific with out recommendations.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: St. John or Maui

They are both among my favorite places! Personally, I hope to have the chance to visit both of them in equal measure for many years. So the easy answer is "both!"

But in short, I'd say that St. John is a better water destination while Maui is a better land destination. That's a very shorthand summary, because each is beautiful all around. But I'd say that St. John definitely has it over Maui in the beach and water department, while Maui definitely has the edge in overall diversity of scenery like flowers and waterfalls and the possibility for land adventures. Maui is much larger, so there is quite a diversity of terrain.

When it comes to the ocean, I always keep a healthy respect of the ocean in Maui, while in St. John, I often feel like I'm playing in a lake. So that's a clear difference for me.

Maui is certainly more touristy, and when we visit we take particular care to avoid the touristy places. To me, Maui is more romantic and dreamy, while St. John is more fun and laid back. Maui has more amenities, while on St. John, I feel more like I am "roughing it," (although that varies with where you stay) which to me is what makes it a bit more fun.

One big caveat: there is quite a bit of weather variety on both St. John and Maui depending on what time of year you visit, so your overall experience (and cost and amount of crowds you deal with) can vary depending on what time of year you are there.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. As I said, I LOVE both places. I live closed to Maui, so it's cheaper and easier for us to visit. But I could go on and on about how much I love each place!

I think the weather and climate in St John is more variable throughout the year,

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Get answers to your questions about Cruz Bay