We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help w/ car rental, why do I need a Jeep?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
151 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Help w/ car rental, why do I need a Jeep?

Last year my wife and I took day trips (with our rental car, a hyundai) to St. John and we were able to drive the east and north sides of the island out to Waterlemon Cay. We had no issues. We didn't make it around the south side or out to Coral Bay which we want to do this trip as we'll be on the island for four days.

What am I missing? Locals have many cars, can someone explain why I need a Jeep? This is a serious question, no sarcasm intended. Thank you...

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,678 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help w/ car rental, why do I need a Jeep?

Pote, not the point at all. As far as enabling 4WD, the vehicles have automatic transmissions and shifting into 4WD if necessary doesn't involve any additional training or advanced expertise.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help w/ car rental, why do I need a Jeep?

I want first time visitors to be aware that the roads are quite likely nothing like they are at home. A first time visitor, driving on the left for likely the first time, going up a wet switchback, will probably be very nervous and even may panic. I have seen it first hand and it is scary.

After life on island, and 10+ years visiting since I left, I still only rent a 4WD so that I can be confident that,if it rains and I am on a switchback or behind a water truck going up Jacob's Ladder, I can safely manuever the situation.

There is a reason that many rental car companies on STT only allow folks to take a 4WD to STJ and that STJ companies don't rent cars.

This is not a debate on who is right or wrong. It should be a discussion on giving first time visitors enough information to make an educated decision.

13. Re: Help w/ car rental, why do I need a Jeep?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2013, 06:16