We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car ok on STJ?

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newark, New Jersey
10 posts
Save Topic
car ok on STJ?

My husband and I are coming to St Thomas for 11 days next week! We want to go to St John for a day... We are renting a car (Suzuki Aerio) for our entire trip from Dependable. They say we can take this car to STJ but I am reading conflicting things on whether you need a jeep or not on STJ? Will we be ok with the Aerio on STJ? Are there any beaches we can get to on easy roads? Any advice is welcome!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car ok on STJ?

You shouldn't have any problem accessing most of the north shore beaches by car, save Francis Bay, which the last time were were there still had some rough patches/dirt out to the end. You might need to be a little careful if the roads are wet, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Needing a jeep has more to do with accessing villas which can involve steep climbs and/or dirt roads, as well as accessing most of the beaches on the south shore.

If I were in your position, I'd pocket the money savings and stick with the car.

Hampton, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car ok on STJ?

We did 2 day trips last year from STT with a smaller chevy sedan. We stayed on the main roads and had no problems. Between the 2 days we explored Cruz Bay/ North Shore beaches and made it to Skinny Legs in Coral Bay. We loved St John so that we're staying there this year - we'll be there a week from tomorrow - can't wait!

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car ok on STJ?

We had an accident driving a car. We were going up an extremely steep road past Trunk Bay that made a hairpin curve to the left. The car lacked the power and traction and we collided with a truck going downhill. We both veered too close to the middle; he due to carelessness, we partly due to an inadequate vehicle. If you take a car be very careful going around curves. In our case it was so steep you could not see anything coming in the opposite direction.

Long Valley, New...
Level Contributor
919 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car ok on STJ?

We have always only had a car, not a jeep on St John for the past 3 years visiting. But, we always stay at Gallows Point, not at a villa which may have difficult access. We have never had issues visiting any of the beaches (with the exception of not trying to get to Lameshur Bay without a 4WD). We even get down to the lower parking area adjacent to the beach at Francis Bay. Yes, you need to be careful and work your way around the "potholes" or ruts in the dirt road, but it is certainly doable (or you can always just park in the upper parking area and take the path down). I can see where it may be difficult if the road is wet on some of the more steep/curved switchbacks, but we have always managed without issue.

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car ok on STJ?

Ed, we have been going to Gallows the past 4 years and plan a 5th visit in April. Our accident took place 8 years ago and was our first day driving in St John. Our little sedan did not have enough power on the steep hill and was sliding backwards, and just did not have enough control to make the turn perfectly. And it was just our bad luck that a truck was coming down simultaneously. Whenever, I make a sharp turn like this anymore I am very cautious and beep my horn several times to alert any vehicles coming in the opposite direction.

Long Valley, New...
Level Contributor
919 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car ok on STJ?

Kod, sorry for your accident. I can see how that can happen. I guess we have been lucky. I was replying to the original post, and the first reply inquiring about Francis Bay.... I did not mean to "challenge" your post - sorry if it came across that way. Hope to see you at Gallows Point in the future! (we are usually there in early December)

Newark, New Jersey
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: car ok on STJ?

Thank you all for your insight and advice! I feel much better now and we will definitely drive with caution on StJ. :)

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car ok on STJ?

No apologies neeed! Fortunately, no one was hurt and the car could still drive. Just took away from some valuable vacation time.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car ok on STJ?

I've driven mostly front wheel in St John. The few times I had 4-wheel drive I never engaged it. Only problems I've ever had are with wet pavement and/or or bad tires; never a good mix.

10. Re: car ok on STJ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 05:17