We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. John or Grand Cayman?

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
St. John or Grand Cayman?

We are vacationing in August and we don't know whether to go to the Westin St. John or the Westin Grand Cayman? We love good food and we like to golf and play tennis. Any comments?

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: St. John or Grand Cayman?

We just returned from Grand Cayman (February) and were in St. John in December 2012 for our third visit. We totally enjoyed Seven Mile Beach and our long weekend in Cayman but like others posting, we LOVE St. John. The pros of Grand Cayman for us: easy to get to overall, easy to get to beach. Pros of St. John: more natural beauty, great feel of Cruz Bay, more active vacation (hiking, snorkeling, dinghy rental). Con: Harder to get to but totally worth it.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
566 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: St. John or Grand Cayman?

Been to both many times. For us, it's St. John by a landslide. Grand Cayman, while having beautiful beaches, is flat and more commercial. The scenery on St. John is in credible. From the water or from the tops of the mountains, St. John has breathtaking views everywhere. You've gotten great comparisons in this thread.

Our home is filled with photography from the islands. It's easily three or four to one in favor of St. John.

Have a great time regardless what you decide.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: St. John or Grand Cayman?

Two completely different atmosphere and trips. St John is mostly national park with very little for restaurants and nightlife. St john I don't consider so much as a luxurious trip. I consider it more as adventure with ample hiking and beautiful beaches. Grand Cayman is a very populated island and a very wealthy island. As a result you can expect find very expensive and great restaurants and a ton of shopping. 7 mile beach is beautiful but it is a flat island desert. Grand Cayman is most comparable to Aruba but much safer and not as much night life. Snorkeling and diving is great at both locations. I enjoy them both very much.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
330 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: St. John or Grand Cayman?

Been to both, each has something to offer but we decided to spend our 2 week vacations on St. John at the Westin!! Don't get me wrong, 7 mile beach was very nice but that's about it on Grand Cayman, St. John has a number of beautiful beaches to visit during your vacation. They just remodeled the Westin on Grand Cayman so it should be nice! Tough choice! Enjoy!!!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: St. John or Grand Cayman?

I have a home on Grand Cayman in Rum Point (away from SMB) and my favorite island is St. John. I have stayed at both Westin properties.

So here's my take:

Beaches: STJ has the better abundance of picture postcard undeveloped beaches. Seven Mile Beach is a great "developed" beach. If you like visiting a different great beach every day then STJ is the place. If you do not want to have to drive every day to the beach, but rather step out your door onto a wonderful beach then GCM is a great option

Topography/Scenery: STJ is stunning, with view of other nearby islands. GCM is flat, the dump is the highest point on the island and if miles of mangroves are scrubby, then scrubby it is. I associate places like CUR, AUA, JVD and TCI when the description of scrubby comes to mind.

Westin: Beach, pool and on-site dinning is better at the Casuarina. Service about equal. Rooms about equal, though the view from the waterfront rooms is better at the GCM location.

On the water lodging options: GCM has a plethora at many different price points, STJ has few. GCM is a luxury condo destination and STJ is a luxury villa destination.

Dinning: Based on the size and population, GCM has many more and better world-class restaurants, but they also cost more than the comparable places on STJ.

Golf: There two courses open to the public (North Sound and the Britannia) and one private (Ritz) on GCM. While no one raves about them they are easily accessible and not a ferry ride away.

Tennis: Both Westins have courts. Probably many more options on GCM elsewhere, but that is just an assumption.

Snorkeling: GCM has great snorkeling, but overall it take more effort to reach than on STJ and for the most part is not near or off "popular" beaches.

Hiking: There is only one hiking trail on GCM of note. Enough said.

Tourist attractions: GCM has plenty of man-made ones, STJ has the natural ones.

The main similarity between the two is that they are both located in the Caribbean.

16. Re: St. John or Grand Cayman?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 07:17