We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Restaurant

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
322 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
New Restaurant

Last year we were at the Beach Bar and decided to walk up the hill towards the Westin. On the left there was a stunning stone building /staircase with a beautiful restaurant. It had just opened in April or May , 2012. Can someone please tell me about the place? The name? Is it still open? Do you recommend it ? Thanks!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Restaurant

I think you mean that you were walking up towards Gallows Point as the Westin in the opposite direction

Directly across the street from the beach bar is The Terrace. There is another stone building next to the Terrace that has a bar (not a restaurant) called Motu

They are both open

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
322 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Restaurant

You may be right ! Did The Terrace just open last year ?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
322 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Restaurant

I just looked at the website and that IS The Terrrace. So now I ask, would you suggest this place for dinner?

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Restaurant

I have not eaten there as the menu does not thrill me personallu.

My on island friends rave about it, so i am sure it is great.

north carolina
Level Contributor
271 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Restaurant

It was good enough for Mario Batali to pay a visit recently.

NY metro
Level Contributor
565 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Restaurant

Expensive. IMO it didn't live up to the promise, anticipation, or opening hype. A 'scraping the middle of the barrel" type of place.

For us it's not a keeper.

YMMV

NY metro
Level Contributor
565 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Restaurant

you can message me for all the gnarly details.

St. John
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Restaurant

The Terrace opened last October. The chef/owner was formerly the chef at The Waterfront Bistro and before that at LaTapa - both very highly respected restaurants on St John.

I have eaten there several times and would highly recommend it....had my entire family there for New Year's as well as guests late March and everyone loved it.

The scallop and shitake mushroom appetizer is to die for. The bartender Kelly is very personable. Many of the entre's are incredible...I have had them all...especially like their lamb and steak as well as stuffed shrimp. They also have fresh oysters every M-Thurs from 4-5 for happy hour...very nice as well.

Enjoy!

PS: There are 2 free parking spaces in front for guests if you get there early :)

St. John
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Restaurant

FYI to answer your question - Before the Terrace opened in this space in October 2012, there was another restaurant that replaced the mexican restaurant in the spring of 2012....it was only open for a short while. The Terrace is there now.

St. John
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Restaurant

The Terrace opened October 2012.

Get answers to your questions about Cruz Bay