We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Rental for 2 people

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia
Level Contributor
53 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Villa Rental for 2 people

Hey guys,

Could anyone suggest a villa rental for 2 people in the Cruz Bay area. We are thinking Gallows of GB but it's overwhelming on VRBO. Priorities are view, swimming pool, nice/clean, AC

We aren't too picky but really want a balcony with a view :) Thinking Cruz Bay b/c it seems to be very convenient and close to everything. We are also renting a jeep so parking would be nice too. Thanks for the suggestions!

Northeast
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Villa Rental for 2 people

When are you traveling? That changes the price significantly in most cases.

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
69 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Villa Rental for 2 people

I was also wondering about how complicated it would be to get to the beaches. Didn't find it a problem at all once we rented our own jeep. As some others said, if the budget permits Caneel, go for it.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,693 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Villa Rental for 2 people

What you may not know is that the island is 2/3rds National Park. What that means is that the beaches are just beach. No hotels, no bars, no restaurants, just water, sand, and palm trees.

A typical STJ day for us is like this:

Coffee and breakfast on the deck

Load up the Jeep with chairs, towels, and a cooler of food and drink

Pick a beach, usually one with the fewest cars.

Sit, sleep, swim, snorkel, rinse, repeat

Back to the villa for showers and maybe a rum drink

A. Grill dinner and soak in the stars

B. Head into town for dinner and drinks

Early to bed so you can get up and do it all over again

This is not the vacation for everyone but for some, it is heaven. I think you first have to decide if this is your type of vacation. Then start looking for a place. We have friends that came with us and even after explaining all of this to them, they did not enjoy the trip very much. Sure, they loved the beaches but the "self catering" aspect was not their vacation of choice and said that they would never return. Just because teh island is beautiful doesn't make it perfect for every traveler.

Georgia
Level Contributor
53 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Villa Rental for 2 people

Thanks everyone for the input. I've done a lot of research over the past few weeks and I'm well aware that STJ is mostly National Park (such a great aspect!). We've rented a very nice villa and can't wait to see all the beautiful beaches! We are traveling in December ( peak season.. Just our luck :)) so rates were a good bit higher but I think we will be very pleased with our rental.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,693 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Villa Rental for 2 people

Great! make sure you reserve your jeep NOW! They go fast in the high season!

Now you have time to ask us all the small questions! :) I would highly recommend that you order a copy of Feet, Fins, and 4WD. it is a gret book that will talk about beaches, hiking, and snorkeling and was written by an island resident, Pam Gaffin

Georgia
Level Contributor
53 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Villa Rental for 2 people

Thanks!! Ill check out that book for sure! How do I go about renting a jeep? I know there are several companies.. Is it best to call or can I book online? Thanks again :)

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Villa Rental for 2 people

You will want to call. In general, businesses on STJ do not rely of electronic communication or on-line bookings the way mainland businesses do. Price is pretty much standard across the board, maybe a couple bucks a day difference.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,693 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Villa Rental for 2 people

I only use STJ Car Rental. There are many good companies on island, but we use them.

I agree that calling is the best way to book. You can check their website for general info, but they do not have a computer so reservations are done manually.

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
69 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Villa Rental for 2 people

I would call but then follow up in writing via fax or email to have the record. Last time, we rented a jeep but when we got there, the company told us we would have to switch to what I call a "momsmobil" in a few days because someone else was more clear that they specifically wanted a jeep (they put it in writing!). Plus, with months to go before your trip, you don't want to rely on them not losing the record of your conversation. One way or another, try to get a written record of the reservation (at least your request) before your trip.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
566 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Villa Rental for 2 people

How about Bluebitch Villa? (relax, "bluebitch" is a kind of stone).

http://bluebitchstjohn.com/rates.html