We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to St. John

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
IndyRob
Level Contributor
44 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry to St. John

Visiting St. John in late April and staying at the Westin. When we visited 4 years ago, we utilized the Westin Ferry that runs directly to the resort for $120/person round trip. I know it is cheaper to just utilize the public ferry and get a cab from Cruz Bay to the Westin resort. Looking for a little background on the experience. Assume you board a cap to the ferry location in St. Thomas and then buy ticket/take the ferry. Assume it is easy to get cabs from the dock in Cruz Bay to the Westin. Looking to validate my decision.

Thx

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to St. John

You grab a taxi at airport to redhook ferry , ferry to cruz bay , plenty of taxis at CB ferry dock to go to westin.

Or if your flight aligns better with the Charlotte Amalie ferry to Cruz bay you could take that but it runs only couple times a day. Check vi now for both ferry schedules.

Kentwood, Michigan...
Level Contributor
318 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to St. John

The shared taxi from the airport to Red Hook will be packed tight, so be prepared to give a little on your "personal space". It's not a long ride though, so I don't think it's a big deal. If you can score the front seat next to the driver, that's the best. There are workers standing right there as you approach the baggage claim area who will direct you to a Red Hook taxi. The ferry from Red Hook runs every hour, and if you miss one, there is a little bar there to get a drink and chill until the next one. You buy your tickets at the desk just inside the building - cash only. As stated in the post above, taxis will be right there when you get off the ferry in Cruz Bay to take you to the Westin.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,100 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to St. John

The Westin Ferry is a reasonable deal when you add it all up. I'd take that route, unless you are picking up a Jeep on STT or in Cruz Bay.

Cheers, RickG

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to St. John

We have found that the only way the Westin ferry is reasonable, is if you plan to travel to St. Thomas again during your trip to shop or sightsee. If not, the public ferry is reliable and has been very easy for us to navigate.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to St. John

We took the Westin ferry when we first started coming to St John about 10 years ago or so. At that time it was $65 pp. Since then we rent jeeps on STT and use the car barges. At that point, when I did the math, with taxis, ferry fees, luggage fees, etc, it was a wash in terms of price. Now the Westin ferry is $125 pp. I don't think all the other fees have doubles, so I don't think it's a wash any more. The Westin ferry is convenient, quick, and a great way to relax when you arrive. It lets you go over to STT for the day if you want - the $125 isn't round trip, it's unlimited use (although most people use it round trip). If you want to go to STT for the day, I think it's a great deal. If not, it depends on how much you like your comfort and convenience

6. Re: Ferry to St. John

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 06:15