We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lavender Hill Suites or Battery Hill 1 bedroom condo?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
440 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Lavender Hill Suites or Battery Hill 1 bedroom condo?

Hi, trying to decide on which would be better for my friend and I. Two females (42 years old), staying for 6 nights, we need two separate beds or bed and sofa bed (no bed sharing for us), we would like a good sea view to enjoy with a glass of wine at night and our morning tea/coffee. We don't mind a bit of walk in to town (we are both pretty fit) for the bars/restaurants but as we are two girls we definitely want to feel that the walk is safe. Otherwise the condos look fairly similar but it's always hard to tell from photos of course.We will be renting a jeep but both seem to have parking.

Battery Hill is much cheaper at only $165 per night (tax included) and Lavender Hill is about $265

www.caribbeanvilla.com/property/CruzViews7/

http://www.lavenderhill.net/suites.html#1br

Price is a big consideration, as we are on a budget due to the cost of the international airfare ($2500 each) just to get to St John. Saying this, it is a once in a lifetime holiday for us both and so we want to make the right choice. Any feedback regarding best choice for two young-ish ladies?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lavender Hill Suites or Battery Hill 1 bedroom condo?

There are nine units at Battery Hill. Eight are 2BR, one is a studio. You will get more space for your money at Battery Hill than at Lavender Hill. The walks to town from Battery Hill and Lavender Hill are safe, but Battery Hill is a bit further up the hill, so you may have a better breeze.

Some of the lower units at Battery Hill have compromised views, thanks to some construction below. I can advise on the Battery Hill view if you tell me which unit you're considering.

TM

Boston...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lavender Hill Suites or Battery Hill 1 bedroom condo?

Hi, I noticed there was a 5% service charge at Battery Hill. I know some villa management companies charge a service fee but all I have dealt with do not. I would check into that. Every penny saved can be used towards rum!

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lavender Hill Suites or Battery Hill 1 bedroom condo?

Lavender Hill is an easy walk into town with only a small hill to deal with. Battery is much higher up and the hill is longer and steep. I think the walk back to Battery at night after enjoying some adult beverages will be unpleasant. I think the reason that Lavender is more expensive is that it's location is much better. If this is a "once in a lifetime" visit I think you should choose Lavender unless the cost is prohibitive. On St John rum is cheaper than water.

Duxbury...
Level Contributor
391 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lavender Hill Suites or Battery Hill 1 bedroom condo?

In the 1990's we stayed in a two bedroom at Battery Hill once and a two bedroom at Lavender Hill three times. Interesting that at that time they were about the same price and Lavender hill was much much roomier with huge deck space and fabulous views. The two bedrooms at Lavender Hill were the penthouse units so the view was excellent. Last year when we walked by it looked like some of the trees had grown and were blocking the views from thew lower one bedroom units. It is definitely much easier walk from town. That is a big price difference though and you could enjoy some really nice dinners out with that extra money- St John has quite a few expensive restaurants. Whatever your decision you will love St John.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
440 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lavender Hill Suites or Battery Hill 1 bedroom condo?

Very silly, just realised the 1st one is in Cruz Views Condos not Battery Hill and it's unit 7. Any idea if this is a good location and ok to walk to town and back?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lavender Hill Suites or Battery Hill 1 bedroom condo?

Yes, noticed that your first link was Cruz Views, not Battery Hill, but followed your text instead of the link. As you may realize, Lavender Hill and Cruz Views are on opposite sides of Cruz Bay.

As it turns out, we've stayed in Cruz Views #7. A pleasant, updated unit, good view from the room and pool deck. My wife didn't like the position of the AC unit -- it was in the hall rather than the bedroom -- but it didn't bother me. . As the windows face west, the unit got hot in the afternoon, but keeping the drapes closed takes care of this.

The walk to town from this spot is safe . . . about 5-10 minutes, all downhill. The problem is the steep hill you'll face on the walk back up. We did it, but I had to stop 2-3 times to catch my breath. It's a toughie. I think most take a taxi back up the hill.

TM

covington ga
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lavender Hill Suites or Battery Hill 1 bedroom condo?

ds, cruz views is walkable but on main rd with lots of traffic, no sidewalks and long step hill. lav hill very close to all cruz bay action and a walk in park compared to cruz views. but you may want to look at what's offered at battery hill. look at sea grape, sand dollar and palm breezes managed by http://www.cimmaronstjohn.com/ all 2 bdrm 1 bath with great views. couple others with limited views and lower rates too.

buddy and I stayed in sand dollar in dec 13, we both will be 70 in few weeks and while walk down to town was a piece of cake, walk home was doable and helped burn off calories. no side walks but all side streets and seldom any traffic. 7 minute walk home and 5 min walk down.

you may want to do a look see but either there or lavender hill, you'll love the convenience to all that's offered in cruz bay but you need a jeep to experience the island.

papabou

Sullivan, Illinois
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lavender Hill Suites or Battery Hill 1 bedroom condo?

Have stayed at both Lavender and Battery Hill and in fact will be at BH week after next. Both great places. Walk back up to BH is a bit much unless you are in decent shape. I really like Battery Hill better due to the breeze, views and much lower price. Having said that, for older people wanting to only walk, LH would be much easier. Pools are similar in size but I've rarely seen anyone in either pool during my stays. Can't go wrong with either one imo.

9. Re: Lavender Hill Suites or Battery Hill 1 bedroom condo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Cruz Bay