We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caneel Bay

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Topic
Caneel Bay

Hello fellow traveleres...My husband and I are returning to CB in just a couple weeks. Just lately, I have heard some negative comments about CB and wanted to hear from those of you who have positive things to say. I can't believe such a wonderful place could have gone downhill in just a couple of years. Thanks so much and HAPPY TRAVELS!!

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caneel Bay

Caneel is one of my favorite places on earth. We were last there in November and stayed on Scott Beach. Every second of our stay was memorable.

What are the negative comments that you have heard? Some guests go to Caneel with expectations of ornate luxury decor, marbled or gilded rooms, AI-style entertainment, etc. And as we know, that is not what Caneel is about. It's about privacy, understatement, nature, good (but unfortunately not always great) service and the best real estate on earth!

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caneel Bay

We were at caneel for 16 days 5 months ago,most of our old time staff is still there and they are all so wonderful that we tend to overlook some of the more "corporate"improvements ie:intrusive survellience cameras everywhere.The safety issues in more secluded spots may make cameras warranted but I think the management may be keeping too tight an eye on its employees at the expense of morale.When morale is down service tends to follow if you are a newbie to caneel and do not understand the islands customs,such as proper island manners be prepared to wait a bit for your "needs " to be met. I have never had any issues with the old timer staff,we treat them with dignity and respect and they return with wonderful attentive service. Are the rooms newly renovated...NO and the drapes in some rooms really need to be thrown away I don't care if you promise they have been dry cleaned they still look and feel yucky, are the chairs at the beaches in dire need of an upgrade...oh yes. We think the food is much better at turtle bay but they don't keep that restaurant open in the off season, the new beach bar manager matthew is great and the food and service beachside was better than in prior times.We are always prepared for the costs so we know ahead of time what to expect and do not look for a marble ritz like experience. The beaches and the grounds are still splendid,the linens are still top of the line,there are still no tv's or phones(we like the unplugged quality) So we return every year and sometimes wonder why rosewood corporate can get things so right at little dix and sometimes so wrong at caneel,but we love our caneel beaches and the old time staff who have become like members of our family.

3. Re: Caneel Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2010, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Islands...